Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good replacement k20d focusing screen?

OK well I went and mucked up my focusing screen good (long story short: lens was on, camera recievd a jolt due to uncooperative flash, focusing screen tray unhinged, tried to take off lens, left a nice scratch on the screen, lens is ok).

Anyhow I'm a real nub and soaked the screen in some lens cleaner to try and remove some of the black rubber ground into the screen - now the thing is foggy AND scratched .

Well anyways I feel this is a good a reason as any to try out a new focusing screen. I have a good number of manual focus lenses so I have considered a split prism / microprism design. My major concern is metering - I would rather buy another stock screen if it will ensure the best metering. I have read so many conflicting reports on the metering with different aftermarket screens, so I'm asking you, the good people.

Right now I am thinking either the stock screen (LL-80) or a Jinfinance split prism (which I believe is a k1000 OEM blank, modified).

PS - I can't afford a Katz Eye.

11-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
paper... I've used KatzEye on a K100 and K20 and they work. You do get what you pay for, but then I don't pay for the Optibrite or additional grid lines, so the base price of the KE quality and service balances the lower cost of other products for me. As for the metering, I've had the split collar on fast and slow DA, FA and Tamron lenses (from f1/7 to f/4) and never had a problem and never seen a metering accuracy drop-off from the OE screens.
11-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
OK well I went and mucked up my focusing screen good (long story short: lens was on, camera recievd a jolt due to uncooperative flash, focusing screen tray unhinged, tried to take off lens, left a nice scratch on the screen, lens is ok).

Anyhow I'm a real nub and soaked the screen in some lens cleaner to try and remove some of the black rubber ground into the screen - now the thing is foggy AND scratched .

Well anyways I feel this is a good a reason as any to try out a new focusing screen. I have a good number of manual focus lenses so I have considered a split prism / microprism design. My major concern is metering - I would rather buy another stock screen if it will ensure the best metering. I have read so many conflicting reports on the metering with different aftermarket screens, so I'm asking you, the good people.

Right now I am thinking either the stock screen (LL-80) or a Jinfinance split prism (which I believe is a k1000 OEM blank, modified).

PS - I can't afford a Katz Eye.
On my K10D I tried both of your proposed screens. Didn't like either of them and finally settled on the focusingscreen.com (K3) screen which I like very much.

Please note that theoretically any change in focusing screen will affect metering - even Katz Eye (they tell you this themselves).
11-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
Didn't like either of them
What didn't you like about the Jinfinance?

11-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have tried both the travor (which is like the Jinfinance screen) and the focusingscreen.com (k3) screen. I thought the k3 screen was brighter and clearer. I did not see any issues with metering other than spot metering.
11-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
spot metering
So the K3 is a better screen because it is clearer and brighter, but both will meter equally well? I don't expect spot metering to survive this operation, but I also suspect that I will get a lot more keepers with the microprism.

Did you find the K3 a better screen for FOCUSING with? I.e., was it easier to identify accurate focus, etc.?
11-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I tried a couple of screens and in the end I had the best luck with one from a K-10. Your results may vary...
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
So the K3 is a better screen because it is clearer and brighter, but both will meter equally well? I don't expect spot metering to survive this operation, but I also suspect that I will get a lot more keepers with the microprism.

Did you find the K3 a better screen for FOCUSING with? I.e., was it easier to identify accurate focus, etc.?
Both screens metered the same. I did find it easier to focus with the K3 screen.

11-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Dumb newbie question: why should metering be affected by the viewfinder screen at all? Is the meter located beyond it?
11-18-2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The focus screen latch should stay in place even with a very hard blow! Have you ever taken the screen out before?...

1. If yes then when you push it up make sure its latched and then push slightly on the latch to make sure its tight.

2. If no, then its was not put on properly at the factory. Do make sure its secure now.

Not MF a lot I prefer the standard stock screen. I did the the screen the rule of thirds grid but found the stock (original equipment of K20D) to be best of what Pentax offers.
11-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Is the meter located beyond it?
Yes. The light sensor is in the "hump" of the camera, behind the focusing screen. This is why you need to cover the viewfinder (with your head or other thing) to prevent stray light from entering through the viewfinder and fooling the light sensor.

Back to the focusing screen for K20D, any screen with split image will render spot metering useless. Matrix metering is also affected, but not by much.

If you're not married to screen with split image, the best replacement screen for K20D and K10D, IME, is the LL-60 screen (for the ancient *ist series). This screen allows accurate metering with all lenses. LL-60 is difficult to find, however.

It is well known that the stock screen of the K10D and the K20D does not meter correctly in stop-down mode (necessary when you use M- or M42- lenses).

Linky
11-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll second the LL-60, being more attuned to composing images using the rule of thirds and not as 'busy' as the LL-80. I've had no problems metering with the LL-60 both in A and M lenses.
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I've had no metering issues with the Jinfinance and the split screen is great for manual lenses or precise focus on an AF lens. Some of the others I tried--Travor was one of them--required shimming, and that was too much trouble. I haven't tried the K3.
11-20-2010, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I have a jinfinance single split in my K10 and a dual split in my *istD. These are good screens if you want a split image, but anyone like me, as a result also has the original screens I have an LL80 from the K10 and an LL60 from the *istD. Maybe someone will donate their old screen