Inactive Account

Batteries - Rechargeable

What are the best brands of batteries AA to use in K-X
rechargeable kind
Thanks for info

11-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used energizer NiHM rechargeable batteries for years in my istDL* camera and only had to replace the set once. I still use them in my flash and they hold a charge quite long. What will kill your batteries is if you use live view a lot., Powering a lcd screen that size takes a lot of power.
11-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Hi Gusser, everybody think Sanyo Eneloop batteries are the best. I've been using Energizer, but they are not to good, I would say about 150-200 shots per charge. I received my Eneloop's this week, and will try them next week some time
11-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Gusser, welcome to the Forums!

And here's a tip: please do some searching on the forums before posting a question. This issue is the subject of many long posts and has been discussed to death and beyond.

There's a sticky on the subject that's worth your time:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/92821-bat...-take-aas.html

Once again, welcome. We'll look forward to your contributions.

11-14-2010, 05:40 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I would not recommend rechargables based on the dismal performance I have experienced.
Started to use them when I got my K100d a few years ago. Had many sets of batteries. Would get a couple hundred shots if lucky on a fully charged set. Most times I'd find they were discharged when not in use. So the camera would be dead along with the spares in the bag.
I switched to Energizer Lithium Ion batteries. Get around 1500 shots on average with the K100d and the same with my K-x.
Much easier and more reliable. Just keep an extra set in my camera bag so when I hit the low battery warning I'm not caught off guard. And if I'm on the road and need a set they are available anywhere.
Gave a bucket full of rechargables and two chargers away. Glad to see them gone.
11-14-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Not all rechargeables are created equal.

I would recommend Sanyo Eneloops or Uniross Hybrios. These are low self discharge NiMH. The normal NiMH self discharge too quickly.

See also https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/121191-batteries-aa-nimh-tec...k-liion-2.html and many other threads on this forum.
11-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #7

To be effective, rechargable batteries must be used in conjunction with a good charger. With a MAHA conditioning charger and Rayovac Hybrids, I get over 1,000 shots on the Kx. A cheap charger will not fully charge batteries and can ruin them.
11-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The battery of choice for my Km is Rayovac NiMH. However, I just purchased a new set of Duracell(Supposed Eneloop Rebadged) NiMH for my upcoming trip. I'll see how that goes. If not well I might take the plunge into Lithium Energizer. I found the Rayovac's don't last too long especially in lower temperatures. However, as mentioned earlier good charger is a must. I know 1h speed chargers won't cut it. Ran it once in an emergency and the camera just coughed the batteries out.

I say get Eneloops and be done with it. It is universally agreed to be the better ones.

11-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Eneloops, or any of their rebranded versions if you want rechargeable. Energizer lithium ultimates if you want disposables. Eneloops yield 700 or so shots between charges for me - sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how often I chimp. The Energizers I got with the camera still showed green after 1500 or 1600 shots when I pulled them for the

Edit: make sure your firmware is up to date regardless of the batteries you choose!

Last edited by DonP; 11-14-2010 at 08:13 PM. Reason: To append my original post