Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #16
Inactive Account

It should be possible !

It should be possible !

The thing is that beyond certain flash speed 1/125 the camera uses a electronic shutter :

"Electronic shutters also have auxilliary mechanical shutters that actually open and close up to, say, 1/125th of a second. Beyond that speed, the computer just grabs a progressively smaller slice of time from the CCD and "fakes" higher shutter speeds electronically. Which, as it happens, is totally golden for us."

Which explains why while I was using remote Vivitar 283 flash connected to my K10D I had the flash to fire at 1/200 sec . It only happened twice, right when I connected the cable after using the camera in M mode at f/22 1/200sec. I was puzzled knowing this was not suppose to happen. Then I changed the speed to 1/250 and the flash did not fire.

Here is a link :
IMGP7003crop.jpg picture by Troool - Photobucket

the EXIF shoes flush did not fire but you can see the light on the left side of the vase.

So if the the camera sent a signal to the hot shoe once by mistake it probably can be done .

Another link to strobist the part ONE Strobist: Hacking Your Camera's Sync Speed, Pt 1

Hope somebody is capable of pulling this one off.

05-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Plamen Petkov Quote
It should be possible !

Which explains why while I was using remote Vivitar 283 flash connected to my K10D I had the flash to fire at 1/200 sec . It only happened twice, right when I connected the cable after using the camera in M mode at f/22 1/200sec. I was puzzled knowing this was not suppose to happen. Then I changed the speed to 1/250 and the flash did not fire.
Umm, are you sure the K10D was in manual mode? At least with my K200D, the flash will fire at any shutter speed if in M mode. No tricks needed. I usually use a Nikon SB-24, haven't tried the Viv '283 yet...
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't remember how the K10D operated but on the K20D the hotshoe is turned off past 1/180s unless you're using highspeed sync mode.
05-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Plamen Petkov Quote
It should be possible !

The thing is that beyond certain flash speed 1/125 the camera uses a electronic shutter :

I don't think the K10D does. In fact, I think the lack of such a feature is precisely why it has a relatively low sync speed.

05-06-2009, 04:57 AM   #20

There seems to be quite a bit confusion about this topic.

1. Yes the K10D and all other current Pentax DSLR cameras have a max sync speed of 1/180s Some other cameras have 1/250s sync sped and a few have 1/500s. In some situations it can be very nice to have a high sync speed. For instance if you're trying to reduce the amount of ambient (outdoor) light in your shot.

2. The HS mode of 540fgz and 360fgz is something entirely different, and not what the original poster asked for. It's completely useless if you're doing manual control strobist style lighting. It's more of a hack to achieve automatic fill flash in sunlight.

3. As mentioned the Nikon D70(s), D50 and D40 has got an electronic shutter that allows for way faster sync speeds. I also think the mk1 Canon 1D has a similar shutter. If you need this kind of functionality you'll better buy one of these as there probably will not be a new model with that design any time soon.

But back to the original question in this thread: No, I don't think Pentax will put this feature "back". They probably think it's better to avoid complaints from all the average users about "defect cameras" that "don't give even exposures". It's a lot more simple for the average user to understand "the flash didn't fire" than "you've exceeded the sync speed and get uneven light in your image".

I also don't think the Pentax community is big enough to have anyone do reverse engineering and firmware hacks that will allow such features. The much larger canon user base has however managed to get hacked firmware for the original rebel and a few p&s cameras. Just think how nice it could be to have hacked firmwares with backported features like af ajustments, fixed +0.3 exposure compensation etc