Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #1

white or black K-x?

OK, i know this has been discussed before, but i wanted some individual advice, so here goes:
i am finally getting my first dslr for christmas and i know im getting the K-x, but i cannot decide between the black and the white!
i like the idea of a color because of the whole "standing out from the crowd" thing, you know?
i know this sounds snobby and concieted, but please dont judge, lol, anyway i want it to look, you know unique, and even expensive. not expensive to flaunt wealth or anything, just to make it more unusual.
the thing about this is that anyone can buy a dslr, but only a few can be a real photographer, whether for a buisiness, or a hobby. i have the potential, but i want a camera that says "i am a photogropher" (for me its just for fun!)
i still worry about getting the white though. what if i dont like it? i dont think ill be able to actually see it in person before i purchase it . i like the black because it seems more profecional and there is something about the k-x that stands out from the crowd, no matter the color.

please tell me any of your experiences with color or what you would want or what you think i should do!!!

thanks alot in advance! ive always loved photography, so im so glad i can finally get a real camera and join the photography comunity! and remember, i want to use this for years to come, so give me your honest opinion!

11-14-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only downside to getting a special color is that the resale value is a lot less. However, if you plan on keeping the camera for years, then that shouldn't be a concern! I say go for it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #3
Forum Member

I get a lot (a LOT) of comments on my white K-x, and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Doesn't get that dirty either. The black is just a bit too boring for me... of course, white is also my favourite colour for anything
11-14-2010, 01:26 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have a white KX and honestly if I had the chance I'd trade it for a black one.

I like how the white looks myself. Sadly so does everyone else in the world. It's hard to be discreet carrying around a camera and doubly so when that camera is bright white. Bright white just like fancy mp3 players and computers and other tech goodies that people pay a lot of attention to.

This is one time where I'm ok with blending in with the crowd

Might be worth thinking about the fact that if you go with white you'll never be able to have your camera with you without sticking out as a guy with a fancy looking camera.

Last edited by jaymiz; 11-14-2010 at 01:55 AM.
11-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I've had quite a few times where I was out with my white K-x and have had many people stop and complement it. The color definitely attracts some attention in the sea of black, yet it doesn't scream "look at me!" (or at least not much more than having an SLR in the first place does). It's also solid white plastic, not painted. After a year of constant use in hot sweaty hands in all sorts of environments, there is not a single sign of discoloration or fading; it looks the same as it did when I opened the box.

I personally think the red is pretty garish (not to mention the cringe-worthy combinations in Japan), but white is very nice and complements the black lenses quite well in my opinion. Alas, now I use a boring old black K-5 (really wish it came in silver, like that beautiful limited edition K-7).

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-14-2010 at 02:29 AM.
11-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't matter what colour it is, as long as it's a K-x.
I've gone black, but personally wouldn't have minded white or red - but probably would have questioned myself a few times if I picked up one of those multicoloured varieties.
11-14-2010, 04:53 AM   #7

A light colored camera shows up easily on glass reflections. I guess that's the main reason photographers wear black or dark colored shirts.

But I agree, the white K-x/r looks cool .

11-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dancinonwater Quote
i like the idea of a color because of the whole "standing out from the crowd" thing, you know?
Doesn't matter what color you get. You've already nailed that one by choosing a Pentax.
11-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dancinonwater Quote
OK, i know this has been discussed before, but i wanted some individual advice, so here goes:
Only Black or white? (White is the new black anyway so you may as well call them both ikky black - it's like going blackwards!)

There is another world beyond... how could anyone not have orgasms on sight of something special like the K-x Korejanai Limited Edition ?
Pentax K-x Korejanai Limited Edition, only 100 units | Gadget Folder Free Gadget Review

Or the sheer pleasure of owning one of the other great 100 colours they make, in mix 'n' match combos too.
Hin's Pentax K-x color selection - Photo.net Pentax Forum

Seriously, even the single colour ones that are mainstream-unpopular now (because people think too self-conscious conservative), like that wonderful Fire Tangerine-Dream/Orange, or rich Lime Green, and Beige-Chocolate, ... are going to be worth megabucks to collectors in the future.

Look at how coveted those old special release gold, silver and leather skin covered Pentax cameras are these days. Few wanted them then. Absolute drool material now because they were rare and their value only seen by the ones whose direct ancestors walked upright.

And the reactions of envy and admiration you'd collect along the way would be sheer mastercard Priceless!
So why not dare to be different? You only get one life, ride the wave...

Try this K-r colour simulator, it's fun to build your own:
????????????PENTAX K-r ??????????

"I am convinced the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the
unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and
die unnoticed." -- L. Frank Baum (1856-1919)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.
11-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I've gone black, but personally wouldn't have minded white or red
That sounds wrong lol...

Personally, I got the black K-x, but wish that I have gone for the white one. That's just me.
11-17-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

White for me and I loved it. If you ever change or upgrade, you can be sure that you will end up with black again. So since black is inevitable, why not take a shot with white now?

I'm saying this as I have a white k-x and a black k-5. I enjoy every moment with both.

By the way, if you are even asking such a questin, I reckon white draws you sufficiently enough. Go for it. It's a beauty =)
11-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

white, why go black when you have an option? black is so boring, remember you wanna look like an artist, not a geek lol.

BTW, how much is a k-x in japan? i landed in natari a few weeks ago, I shouldda grab 1 if it was cheaper.
11-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

White looks much better.
11-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #14

I like the idea of DSLRs coming in more colors than silver and black, and I really like the KX Stormtrooper Edition, but don't regret buying my black KX. Of course, one of the main reason I went black was because I couldn't find the two-len kit with the 55-300mm lens with a white body, so....

Does it count that if I bought the Pentax Optio i10 for nostalgia purposes (I'm a former owner of a complete Pentax Auto 110 system purchased 25 years ago in Japan) I would probably go with white?

Snoopy went garish (see my signature).
11-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The white body is great. I get lots of women asking me what it is and where to get it. I could do worse.