Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
A bit pre-mature there aren't you?
You would be surprised by the amount of people that land on this forum and get instructed to return a product as faulty without anyone even knowing how it was being used or seeing samples. Most of the problems are user error, and I believe this happens more with the K-x because it doesn't show AF points on the VF and people get all confused using it in Auto-11 (the default).

If a new one comes, and if it was user error from the OP, he still won't be able to take proper pics. Then what? Return again?

I would make sure I'm doing everything right before returning something as faulty. To not do that is what I would call pre-mature.

@InStitches49

Once your new K-x arrives, try it out (on both lenses) with a static subject in a well lit place to minimize all possible external factors. Then, some tips you might find useful if you didn't know yet (some Pentax specific):

- Make sure Shake Reduction (SR) is enabled on the menu. Then, when shooting, make sure you keep the shutter half-pressed until the SR activates (it takes around 1 second). You'll see the SR icon light on your viewfinder, it's a little hand. The shutter will still trigger if SR doesn't engage, but with shutter speeds of 1/60 or less, it's very likely you'll get motion blur.

- Avoid using spot focusing until you're comfortable with the AF points positioning. If you use spot focusing and point the camera to a low-contrast subject, something all black or a shadow, it'll have trouble finding focus.

- Similarly, you won't want to use Auto-11 mode most of the time, specially with busy scenes. Try Auto-5 mode and see if it starts focusing more on what you expected.

- Because the K-x uses screwdriver AF, it's slower, which means that if you try to just squeeze the trigger all the way down in AF-C like you would with a Nikon, it'll miss more. Practice to get a "feeling" of how long the AF takes (it tends to travel, stop, then make 1 or 2 adjustments), so you avoid taking the pic while it's still focusing. Try AF-S too which tends to hunt less, specially under low light.

- The kit lenses are not that sharp wide open. Shooting at f/8 will improve the sharpness significantly.

If you still have trouble focusing, post samples on the forum and everybody will be able to help better.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 11-15-2010 at 01:03 PM.
11-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
A bit pre-mature there aren't you?
I don't think so. It is far more likely that it is user error than camera error. The OPer did not mention what focus mode they were in, or what focusing technique they were using (eg center point only and recompose). I suspect it was left in full auto and the camera focussed on whatever had the most contrast in frame, which I guess wasn't the subject the OPer was intending. That sort of thing happens far more often than a defective camera.
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did the OP switch to manual focus mode, get focus confirmation, and review those shots for proper focus?

I concur that 99% of the time, it's user error, and not a faulty camera.

I stink with manual focus on my manual lenses (because I'm an old fart), but autofocus problems with the kit lens?

Never happens.
11-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Was your shake reduction off, maybe?
It really sucks when you've bought a camera and it doesn't function the way you want it to be.

11-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Did the OP switch to manual focus mode, get focus confirmation, and review those shots for proper focus?

I concur that 99% of the time, it's user error, and not a faulty camera.

I stink with manual focus on my manual lenses (because I'm an old fart), but autofocus problems with the kit lens?

Never happens.
There's another thread running complaining about "used" camera gear (stuff that's been clearly opened and handled before) being shipped as new. Is there any wonder this happens when the first instinct seems to be to blame the equipment and send back gear to the retailer that is perfectly OK. What else is the retailer meant to do with all this perfectly OK gear?
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #21
1,000,000th Poster!

My comment was about people who automatically blame the user if the camera doesn't seem to be working right.
I agree that it's often the photographer himself that might have browsed through the menus right at the beginning and changed something by mistake.

Like I said, I want to see data first before I tell the OP it's his fault. It might not be.
11-15-2010, 04:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

On the balance of probabilities, if a novice user receives their first DSLR and has trouble producing photos in which the subject is in focus, then yes, I'm going to put my money on it being the fault of the user not the camera.

Exactly the same with the "My new K-x is broken because it wont turn on after I put in my AA batteries". 99 times out of 100 they are using crappy batteries and the camera is not broken.
11-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Brief note from original poster here...
I goofed when I said or implied it was my first DSLR because it was really my first Pentax DSLR (had a Pentax point and shoot years ago until it stopped on me). I already have a Nikon D3000 which I use rather well considering my need for further studies to get out of basically doing everything on automatic mode. (I know, I know that's not real photography people!) However, just within the first days I knew something wasn't right about the way the focusing was on the Pentax. I know how to wait and be sure it's in focus which I would do but then the result was blurred or fuzzy or whatever you want to call it. Even my daughter who's eighteen couldn't get it to respond and she's a lot quicker picking up digital stuff than I am End result is that I sent it back but am considering whether to up to a K-7 (K-5 is just too much money for my needs) or wait it out on reaction to the K-r use. I'm not bashing Pentax...just that this camera wasn't right in some way. Thanks again for listening.

11-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #24
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You may just be unfortunate.
The K-x is an excellent camera in so many ways. Replacing your dud one with a good K-x would also save you a bundle of money (if you're happy with the K-x's UI and performance).
11-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Unfortunately what isn't clear is exactly how the focusing was being done. Multi-point? Center point only? Recompose? Was the point selected manually? AF-S or AF-C? Was anything at all in focus in the pictures?

If it's user error then it doesn't matter how many bodies will be returned and exchanged, and whether they are K-x, K-r, K-7 or K-5 bodies, the subject of the photos will continue to be out of focus more times than not.
11-17-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
twitch,
The focusing was both center and multi as well as auto and manual. I don't believe it was user error because I had another person try the same settings that I did and still more was out of focus than in focus. I can't remember the exact ratio of good to bad focusing results but I believe it was something like two good photos out of forty or more. That doesn't matter because I know it wasn't me. If I can take good photos with another dslr in the same manner, that tells me it was the camera and/or lens problem which I duly noted in my return of the items. I don't want to keep talking about this as if I'm a total dummy because, while I may not be a great photographer, I am capable enough to have felt secure that it wasn't me but the camera/lens. Sorry but I need to defend myself here.
11-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

InStitches,
Be assured that you don't need to prove anything here - if you're sure the issue is the camera, then you need no more justification to return it to your vendor and request it be looked into or replaced.

Hope your next Pentax dSLR doesn't disappoint.
11-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #28

I agree with Ash -- no need to justify anything. However, I don't think you should cross off the KX from your list of cameras because of this one (unfortunate) bad experience. I'm very happy with my KX -- overall happier than I've been with any other camera I've owned, and that's been quite a few. You can't beat it's price/performance and feature ratio. The important thing is that you're happy with your purchase, but if you really liked the KX (on paper or in your purchasing research), I see no reason not try another KX if you think the first one was faulty.
11-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #29

I just received my K-x Wed. It was severely back focusing. I did an internet search for the debug mode instructions, and found out how to adjust the AF. Now all is good. I can see a long love affair with this litte camera. It may just be a simple fix of the AF adjustment. Don't give up on the K-x yet.