Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wanted to Like the K-x But...

I really wanted to like my K-x that I got the other day, but I am having major focusing problems with both lens that came with it. It is so slow to focus and has been very blurred in most of them even when I thought I had it focused in the viewfinder or even live view. At this point I wonder if something is defective. I do have a Nikon D3000 and it focuses a lot faster and sharper. (Sorry about that Pentaxians but it's the truth.) Even my college-age daughter who is better at photography than I remarked this weekend that she couldn't figure out anything to do other than send the camera back and maybe try another one, whether another K-x or a K-7. Also to me the camera is "noisy" making more clunking noises when moving it around than the Nikon. I was all geared up to fall in love with the K-x and right now that isn't happening .

11-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Faultyyyyy.

Have it replaced.
11-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
1,000,000th Poster!

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you post a pic or two with the EXIF data? We'll be able to see how blurred, and the conditions the pic was taken at.

Your K-x might be defective. Mine focusses accurately and quickly.
11-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most likely it's defective--this kind of thing could have happened with any brand. Ask the store to exchange it. Or get a refund.

11-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
... I am having major focusing problems with both lens that came with it.
Which lenses are these ?

You might swap cameras with Flickeroo .-)

I was thinking K-X too so I am curious how it all turns out in real-life use especially in comparison with a Nikon camera said to have decent but not special AutoFocus performance. BTW with which lenses does the Nikon run at the moment ?

If you send it back I guess it would be clever to insist upon sending it back with both lenses as a unit.
11-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Which lenses are these ?
I'm guessing OP bought a double-lens kit consisting of K-x body + 18-55 + 55-200, both in DA L flavour.
11-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The clunky noise is the in-body shake reduction. Don't worry about that. The camera sensor 'floats' in a kind of magnetic field.

The K-x AF will be slower than your D3000 because your D3000 has no in-body AF motor, unlike the K-x, and I guess you were using lenses on your D3000 that had AF motors built into the lens. These can often be faster than screw-drive AF systems like the ones driving your K-x kit lenses.

Your other AF issues do seem strange, especially if you it impacts both of your kit lenses. You haven't got any UV or protection filters on those lenses, by any chance? Often they can play havoc with camera AF because they are usually of very low quality.

Also things like depth of field, shutter speed and camera movement can impact on 'focus' and getting non-blurry images, not to mention in-camera settings like the sharpness settings you have set for the JPEGs you want your camera to produce. Moving from one camera to another can often require simply adjusting to the different features of the new camera before being as proficient with it as you may have been with the old one.

Also yes, a sample photo of 'bad AF' would be useful.
11-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by InStitches49 Quote
I really wanted to like my K-x that I got the other day, but I am having major focusing problems with both lens that came with it. It is so slow to focus and has been very blurred in most of them even when I thought I had it focused in the viewfinder or even live view. At this point I wonder if something is defective. I do have a Nikon D3000 and it focuses a lot faster and sharper. (Sorry about that Pentaxians but it's the truth.) Even my college-age daughter who is better at photography than I remarked this weekend that she couldn't figure out anything to do other than send the camera back and maybe try another one, whether another K-x or a K-7. Also to me the camera is "noisy" making more clunking noises when moving it around than the Nikon. I was all geared up to fall in love with the K-x and right now that isn't happening .
For the clunking noise, that's normal with Pentax DSLR . This will explain
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/94122-beginners...lr-camera.html

For the burry pictures, you may have to understand the important roles of the shutter speed and aperture which affect the DOF . Besides that you have to tell the camera to use which focus sensor to focus on what you want .
Try this:
- Select AF-S .
- Select Center Focus Point which is in ( ) in the view finder .
- Point ( ) to where you want to be in focus and lightly push on shutter release button to tell the camera to do the auto focus there, and don't move the camera so the focus can locked there.
- Wait for the focus confimation indicator stay lid means the focis is locked, then press down shtter release button to take picture .

Don't forget to turn SR on when taking picture handheld .

11-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Bah... those posts pop-up every other day. "I got the K-whatever and can't get any picture in focus. I have another Whatever Brand and it works flawlessy. I guess it's faulty / Pentax is crap."

I refuse to believe any brand can manufacture so many defective units as the members in this forum suggest. I never had anything returned as "defective", even gear that I got used and bashed. I guess the defect is behind the camera.

Post samples and everybody might be able to help better.
11-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
1,000,000th Poster!

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
I guess the defect is behind the camera.
A bit pre-mature there aren't you?

I like to reserve judgment until I see data. I had a Nikon Point-and-Shoot a few years back that needed to be replaced twice. Third time was a charm. It wasn't a defect behind the camera.

When I got my K-x all I had was fun. Things weren't quite up to par as they are for others, more experienced and talented photographers. And in that particular area, the problem is definitely behind the camera!
But I still managed to take the best pictures I ever had, better than anything I ever took with any P&S, and I try to learn every day.
11-14-2010, 08:00 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I suspect PLBTC, but seeing a sample or two with EXIF intact would be helpful. Of course, the D3000 shoots in-camera over sharpened jpgs and this could be part of the expectation made of the k-x, which shoots less aggressively processed jpgs.
11-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
For those of you who answered me nicely, thank you very much. I am returning the camera tomorrow and will probably get either a replacement K-x or go ahead and get the K-r. Sorry that I can't post any photos that were blurred because I deleted the images and formatted the card before I thought about doing that. Yep, I was brain dead when doing that for sure! I do know that all cameras are not the same (i.e. my comparison to the Nikon). I'm not bad-mouthing Pentax because I truly think I got a defective camera/lens this go-round. It's happened before (not to me) so it's a possibility. Here's hoping the replacement is better.
11-14-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Let us know how the replacement performs. Post some pix!

There are of course bad cameras that should have failed QC but made it out into the marketplace, even when we are talking reputable Japanese brands like Pentax. Sometimes there are also bad retailers who sell people camera bodies (or lenses) as 'new' that may already have been returned as defective once before, or may have been abused. Etc.
11-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #14
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I assume the focusing problems occurred in non-live view mode as well as live view mode. If so, and it's all as you say it is, I too would be interested in seeing any of your K-x images. All the best for your exchange...
11-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #15
Site Supporter

What were you trying to focus on? Dark subjects? Moving subjects? Were you on AF-C or AF-S?