Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Firmware Update - Scary?

From what I have read the procedure for firmware update can be a bad experience for some. Olympus was easy since it was plug-n-play from computer to camera. I need to install the latest version on my K-X and would like confirmation of steps: download file to desktop, drag onto the
SD card drive icon, download to card, remove card from computer, install in camera, insure fully charged batts in camera, install in camera following camera instructions. since my computer has card reader I would think this is the easy way to do this. Thanks for input.

11-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yepp... that is all... and even if the camera looks a little dead... DO NOT TURN IT OFF... let it finish...
11-15-2010, 05:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also, remember to remove the card properly ("safely remove hardware"). If you want to be extra careful also format the card in the camera as the first step. And (worth repeating): DO NOT TURN THE CAMERA OFF until it has finished.
11-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Also worth mentioning is to Make Sure, I mean POSITIVELY (yes, I mean to shout that) your batteries are fully charged. Make sure the Bin file is in the base/root directory of the card (not the DCIM, formatting the card helps assure this), and Do NOT turn the camera off until the screen says Completed. If the camera powers down during the process before then, you'll have a pretty paperweight.

You will see 4 things happen, only one of which requires your input.
1. Answer the yes/no question to install the firmware.
2. Phase one (whatever that does)
3. Phase two (whatever that does)
4. Completed. Turn the camera off at this point and back on again, you should be good to go.

11-15-2010, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Also worth mentioning is to Make Sure, I mean POSITIVELY (yes, I mean to shout that) your batteries are fully charged. Make sure the Bin file is in the base/root directory of the card (not the DCIM, formatting the card helps assure this), and Do NOT turn the camera off until the screen says Completed. If the camera powers down during the process before then, you'll have a pretty paperweight.

You will see 4 things happen, only one of which requires your input.
1. Answer the yes/no question to install the firmware.
2. Phase one (whatever that does)
3. Phase two (whatever that does)
4. Completed. Turn the camera off at this point and back on again, you should be good to go.

I am hearing monty python here:

On the Holy Count of 4 thou shault turnith-off thy image capture device... not step 3... nor step 5... 2 is right out!!!
11-15-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I am hearing monty python here:

On the Holy Count of 4 thou shault turnith-off thy image capture device... not step 3... nor step 5... 2 is right out!!!

11-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Simply leave the card in the camera and format, shut off camera. Having a fully charged battery, attach your USB cord between the camera and computer. Turn on camera and down load update. Follow update instructions. Those who take the card out of the camera and attempt to do the upgrade in the computer seem to have the most problems. Yes, I know, many of you don't, but almost every time I helped a person with a upgrade problem they tried to do it with the card in a reader or in the card slot of the computer.
11-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Simply leave the card in the camera and format, shut off camera. Having a fully charged battery, attach your USB cord between the camera and computer. Turn on camera and down load update. Follow update instructions. Those who take the card out of the camera and attempt to do the upgrade in the computer seem to have the most problems. Yes, I know, many of you don't, but almost every time I helped a person with a upgrade problem they tried to do it with the card in a reader or in the card slot of the computer.
The objective is to get the update to work, just as the objective of a camera is to take a picture (still seems to be the case in 20. Although this might seem to be treading into the twilight zone, I would suggest users accept this suggestion.

11-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've done quite a few firmware updates between my 5 Pentax bodies that have been in my hands, and every time I just do exactly what the directions say to do, and I've never had a problem.
11-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If you have the old version of the k-x firmware, by all means use the supplied lithiums. It's a crapshoot as to whether Eneloops would be recognized accurately by the camera. In any case, follow the rule of letting the batteries sit in camera for several seconds after installation so they can be identified.

Normally updating firmware isn't such a twitchy process, but the k-x update fixes issues related to recognizing the type of battery installed and setting parameters around its discharge curve. That makes this one a little scary.
11-16-2010, 12:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
scary if your a big girls blouse.