Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-x auto mode question

Can you set up the auto mode on a K-x to always use auto ISO and auto focus with shutter button? Normally I'd like to control ISO and AF myself, but when I hand over the camera to someone else I'd like as much automation as possible...

11-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I guess not. Even in green mode the ISO stays in manual if set that way when turning the mode wheel (a misfeature IMHO). Also, the AF/MF switch mechanically disconnects the AF motor from the lens.
11-15-2010, 07:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks jolepp! When I said AF though, I didn't mean the AF/MF switch but that I'd like to AF using the ok button. And then override this to the shutter button in auto mode. I guess then this isn't possible either though.
11-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

There would seem to be no way to do that either I'm afraid.

11-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
Thanks jolepp! When I said AF though, I didn't mean the AF/MF switch but that I'd like to AF using the ok button. And then override this to the shutter button in auto mode. I guess then this isn't possible either though.
To the best of my knowledge you cannot AF with the OK button in any mode, the only usable alternate button for AF (except for the shutter button) is the AF/AE-L button - and then only when it's configured to its default of option 1 >> Enable AF1 at C.2.10 in the menu

An to address your O.P question;
QuoteQuote:
Can you set up the auto mode on a K-x to always use auto ISO and auto focus with shutter button?
By definition and default action (which you can't change), "Auto" Pict mode is just that, it "fully auto" controls ISO, shutter speed, aperture, the lot.
And yes, you then AF with a half depression of the shutter button, or, with the AF/AE-1 button as above.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-15-2010 at 10:06 AM.
11-16-2010, 01:27 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
To the best of my knowledge you cannot AF with the OK button in any mode, the only usable alternate button for AF (except for the shutter button) is the AF/AE-L button - and then only when it's configured to its default of option 1 >> Enable AF1 at C.2.10 in the menu
Thanks for the clarification! I was using ok button on my old DS and figured the K-x would work the same. However AF/AE-L button seems to be better positioned for this purpose.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
An to address your O.P question;
By definition and default action (which you can't change), "Auto" Pict mode is just that, it "fully auto" controls ISO, shutter speed, aperture, the lot.
And yes, you then AF with a half depression of the shutter button, or, with the AF/AE-1 button as above.

.R.
Sounds logical, but it seems that's not the way it works. As jolepp said, if you set ISO 200 and then switch to Auto Pict, it will stay locked on ISO 200. Sounds like a bug to me.

I searched PF some more and found a workaround for this. If you set to not remember sensitivity when powered off, it will revert to auto ISO when powered on again. Since I always set ISO manually before starting to shoot, this will work both for me and others using it (who want full auto).
11-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by retroflex Quote
Sounds logical, but it seems that's not the way it works. As jolepp said, if you set ISO 200 and then switch to Auto Pict, it will stay locked on ISO 200. Sounds like a bug to me.

I searched PF some more and found a workaround for this. If you set to not remember sensitivity when powered off, it will revert to auto ISO when powered on again. Since I always set ISO manually before starting to shoot, this will work both for me and others using it (who want full auto).
Hey you're both right there. I've never watched that Auto Pict behaviour closely before.
In fact, to me it seems to behave more "auto" in Program mode regarding its ISO setting and the automatic variance of it, depending of what light~dark scene you point the camera at, and tap the [re]focus button.

I'll play with the workaround and see if that makes sense to use, or has consequences.

.R.
11-18-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Follow up to this... I played around with it some more now and found this to be the best compromise to use the K-x for both me and others not interested in messing with the settings...

- Turned off memory for ISO and exposure compensation.
- Changed SCN mode to "Kids" and tell my GF and others to use SCN mode. This seems to work much better than the "Auto Pict" mode, which more or less switches randomly between different modes. The kids mode seems to use a pretty quick shutter time along with a medium aperture and raises the flash if needed. Works good for indoors snapshots, haven't tried it outdoors yet, but I guess it should work in most situations.
- When I use the camera I use Av or M and set up ISO first.