Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Why focusing issue?

Hi,

Like all of you, I have been looking around the K-R and K-5 for a while. I am really impressed with the specification and images that the lucky ones shared here on the forum.

Though, I have seen a few thread about focusing issue with both K-R and K-5 and I have a few questions:

Is it a new 'problem' with those 2 new cameras?
Is it a problem with all DSLR camera that I never heard or seen before?
Do other manufacturers have that same issue too?

I'm not complaining, just trying to understand a problem I have never heard of before.

Thank you,
Yael

11-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This is the strangest post I have read in a long time.

Information is in-complete. Pls describe in more detail this supposed 'focussing' issue.

Also pls be aware that people on forums often carry on about a lot of things that they barely know anything about or can't do competently (auto-focus testing springs to mind).
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the only threads I have seen about the K5 and focusing are that it a) focuses much much faster than the K7, and b) that lenses which took focus correction on earlier modles do not require any correction at all any more.

Now....

if these are issues, OK, L like it.

otherwise

11-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry to have written a strange post!
Let me give some example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/122686-k5-auto-focus-acc...-hsm-lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/120509-k5-front-backfocus-wow.html

I know they were more than that (not like 200 of them but a couple more). I agree that it could be the person that does the test that could be in error and that is exactly why I'm asking this, I need to know what those 'errors' means?

Thanks,
Yael

11-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
I need to know what those 'errors' means
We could have a big discussion about auto-focus, testing flaws, consumer psychology, manufacturer tolerances, third-party vs manufacturer lenses etc etc, but I suggest you read these articles instead:

Understanding Camera Autofocus
then
LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other myths
then
LensRentals.com - "This lens is soft" and other FACTS
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll read those.

So does it mean the AF of the new Pentax is just fine?
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry to have written a strange post!
Let me give some example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/122686-k5-auto-focus-acc...-hsm-lens.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/120509-k5-front-backfocus-wow.html

I know they were more than that (not like 200 of them but a couple more). I agree that it could be the person that does the test that could be in error and that is exactly why I'm asking this, I need to know what those 'errors' means?

Thanks,
Yael
It's a good thing you don't understand what they're talking about. Go take some photographs instead of messing with nonsense

11-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #8
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From a quick read of the 3 links, this 'problem' has existed for a long time, it's part of the tolerance of the lens and camera and are both fine according to the different manufacturers specification. So nothing to worry about... I guess people 'see' it more due to the higher resolution of the sensors.

True I could go take pictures, but since I wasn't born with a camera glue to my face it happens that I do read and I do like to understand what I'm reading and be able to judge if the content has any importance at all. With your help, I found out it didn't! Though that research brought me knowledge and now I can go take pictures without using what I have learned today

Thank you all
11-15-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

So does it mean the AF of the new Pentax is just fine?
Yes.

And the AF of the new Canon and new Nikon are likely to be fine too, as long as you understand what AF means and how it works.

You also need to spend less time listening to people complaining on forums. It's psychologically unhealthy and after a while the constant complaining can become infectious.
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Rawr, that was the whole point of my question, I didn't know if it was a validate complain or not, now I know and I won't care about what they have to say.

Didn't know it was bad to understand.