Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #1

HDR with the K20D

Anyone out there with HDR experience using the K20d? I have been experimenting the last couple of weeks. The generally accepted method is auto bracketing 3 and up exposures with a EV range of +/- 2 EV. The K20d can "AB" 5 exposures however the EV steps are 1/3 or 1/2 EV which equates to a max of +/- 1 EV. I am amazed at the results at that (however its early days and I have a lot to learn), but I am wondering if I am leaving considerable DR on the table. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything regarding the capability of auto bracketing with the K20d?

11-16-2010, 03:49 AM   #2

I think you can set it for up to 2ev apart.

I don't have the manual with me right now but there is some talk about online if you google and that is how I remember it as well.

You probably also want to set the camera to Av mode and manually set the ISO to a fixed value. If you have time you can then take a second show with 1ev up or down using the exposure compensation feature to get 10 shots 1ev apart.
11-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you set the K20 for 5 frame bracketing and 2 ev, you will get 0ev, +/-2ev and +/-4ev.

It works well.

You need to read this thread also. Bracketing works slightly differently depending on the mode you are in P, Tv, AV, etc...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography/121714-auto-aperture-bracketing.html

Last edited by interested_observer; 11-16-2010 at 09:16 PM.
11-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funatlast45 Quote
Anyone out there with HDR experience using the K20d? I have been experimenting the last couple of weeks. The generally accepted method is auto bracketing 3 and up exposures with a EV range of +/- 2 EV. The K20d can "AB" 5 exposures however the EV steps are 1/3 or 1/2 EV which equates to a max of +/- 1 EV. I am amazed at the results at that (however its early days and I have a lot to learn), but I am wondering if I am leaving considerable DR on the table. Can anyone tell me if I am missing anything regarding the capability of auto bracketing with the K20d?
The "EV Steps" setting determines in what increments any aperture, shutter, ISO, or exposure bracketing adjustments are made using the mode dial.

That setting does NOT affect the actual EV steps for bracketing, only how the EV steps for bracketing are set. e.g. when "EV Steps" is set to 1/2, the bracketing interval can be 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, or 2 stops per exposure. When it's 1/3, it can be 1/3, 2/3, 1, 1 1/3, 1 2/3, 2.

So you can do 5 brackets with 2 EV intervals. Watch out - in nighttime this can make you run into the auto-DFS zone. For that reason I'm likely ordering a K-5 in December - the K20 is kinda "meh" for nighttime HDR. It's quite good for daytime HDR though.

11-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for your input, the light has come on after reading Entropy's thread. Looking forward to taking my HDR to the next level including night time. I guess I will need to research auto-DFS, investing in a K5 is not an option at this time.