Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Technically I have three camera brands in the house, though really I only use two. (The poor Canon sits in a drawer while my Pentaxes and my Yashicas have all the fun and lenses. One of these days it will get more than a few moment of air shooting I suppose but likely it won't be with me.) One of those systems now includes digital as well as film cameras, the Pentax.

It is a bother having two systems and having to have lenses for both. One of the reasons I never got into having my Canon as much is because I'd have to go out and pay a lot more for more lenses for that camera than I have to date on my Pentax or my Yashicas. By comparison to Yashica and most Pentax M42 lenses the FD lenses are rather expensive and I just don't like the camera well enough to indulge in a third film camera lens kit.

Until I got my *ist I actually had zero interest in K-mount lenses. I always figured I'd just get an adapter and use my M42's but in the end the cost of the adapter versus just getting a few more lenses for now made me decide to hit Goodwill to look for a couple of cheap K mounts. I probably will still get the K adapter but I think I really want to know my *ist pretty well before I start having to adapt my shooting to suit the older M42 lenses. Personal decision, shrug.

Having multiple systems means spending more $$$. It also means adapting your style of shooting to a new camera, new lenses, and their quirks. Being a parent with young children is hard enough. If it was me, I'd stick with what you know and maybe upgrade a bit as you can. Why make things more difficult than it needs to be? You've probably got enough on your plate and enough demands on your time as it is, right?

11-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Agreed, Canon does not produce very good natural colors
[deleted]
...I just always disliked canons because of the color output.
That's a strong pronouncement.
I'm just curious, what specific monitor(s) and printer are you using to evaluate output? Also, what exact calibration devices do you use to generate profiles? And the software you use for post processing?

Thanks.

M
11-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a k-x and I also bought a D700 to build a two camera system. My main motive two have a two camera system is to have that many choices in lenses.

On the D700, my most used lens is the 100$ 50/1.8D. A very sharp lens. Also have a 28-70 (the old pro-grade lens) to take to places where I don;t want to changes lenses (beaches, other dusty places). Want to get the 85/1.4. It is a one of a kind lens.

On the pentax, I have the DA 15 and DA 70. Both excellent lenses again. Want to get the FA 31.

Canon has some excellent prime lenses as well but I don't have the money to afford 3 DSLR systems at this point...

I do want to get a third system - probably a micro 4/3s. NEX-5 looks awesome and NEX-7 (rumored) looks even better.

cheers
11-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Pentax K5/K7/Kx
Olympus E-P2
Panasonic G1
Sigma DP1 and DP2
Leica M3 for film

Probably a Sigma SD1 when it's released. Love the Foveon. :-)

I probably wouldn't get a Pentax EVIL unless it was M4/3.

11-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Pentax K5/K7/Kx
Olympus E-P2
Panasonic G1
Sigma DP1 and DP2
Leica M3 for film

Probably a Sigma SD1 when it's released. Love the Foveon. :-)

I probably wouldn't get a Pentax EVIL unless it was M4/3.
Stanley

I am surprised that you don't also have Nikon and Canon
11-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #21
Veteran Member

There you go!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
I have. It's called shooting in raw or adjusting white balance. Also every lens has a different color rendition. So maybe you were seeing what a bad lens does for colors?
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
Agreed, Canon does not produce very good natural colors...and to the other guy...I don't wanna adjust every damn photo I take because the cameras color system is crap...Seems like something avoidable by choosing another brand. Also yes I do shoot in raw but...most of my photos rarely need adjustment and if they do it was most likely my fault or I am going for a certain effect.

I have no brand loyalty btw, Nikon is good, Pentax is good, Olympus is good, etc...I just always disliked canons because of the color output.

Thank you, ABSTRACT, thats exactly what I thought as well.

To that other dude, did you read ABSTRACT's common, not that I don't like you canon, I'd have to go for Pro model versus Pro-sumer just because of that... then at the end, I decide to get a D700, maybe a D3s soon...
11-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I'd take Pentax primes any day over any other brands(Nikon and Canon), only Nikon Primes I'd get is the long telephoto ones and 85/1.4

11-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I was/am going to be again a dual Pentax/Canon owner. I own a T2i because I need manual video control and liked the 60 fps option in video. I (will) own a K-5 because I love the still-image IQ of the camera and want a weather-sealed lens kit to play out in the rain/snow. Of course, this does complicate my LBA, but it's somewhat easier to handle now that I want a weather-sealed kit.

If you're unsure about the K-5, you can rent one from cameralensrentals.com.

- Jason
11-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #24

Pentax & Canon shooter

I shoot Pentax and Canon.

Biggest difference to me and other shooters who've shot with Canon and another brand, comparitively, is the RED channel. No kidding.

No matter how I adjust settings, tweak color, custom WB, etc, I can never get the reds the way I want. I settle. What does this mean in real life? Dark skinned people... don't look quite like themselves, although the rest of the colors are accurate. Either they have too much RED in their skin, but if you tone it down, everything is washed out a bit. With Pentax, they are considerably closer.