Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree. I wish there were a current model between the K-r and the K-5. That's what I would have bought instead of the K-r. I wouldn't consider the K-7 because the low light performance isn't good enough. I would have been fine with a K-7 with K-x sensor for a price between the $800 K-r and $1500 K-5.

04-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Forum Member

I would be happy upgrading my K-x to the K-r, just to get the focus indicator lights, but now I'm finding myself also wanting a vertical grip. If the K-r had that as an option, that's the camera I would own. Now I'm looking at the Sony A580 as a possible replacement. I'm thinking of upgrading to the K-5, but $1,300 may be a bit much for me. My biggest concern about the K-5, and the K-r, is the low light tungsten focus issue. One of the main reasons I bought the K-x was to take pictures of my daughters hockey and basketball games.

Last edited by JeremyP; 04-05-2011 at 06:22 PM.
04-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

JonPB said it all earlier. Save for what you want, because you are only going to end up paying more in the long run by jumping back and forth, especially between brands since you are now replacing lenses too. And for the record, I think every brand has had some sort of low light tungsten focus issue along the way.
04-07-2011, 05:57 AM   #19

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Luckily for me I just started into photography recently and had not built up a collection of lenses. I got an A580 and very happy with it. its not perfect, i liked the ergonomics of the K200 better and the optical viewfinder of the A580 is the worst ive ever experienced. However i am extremely happy with the vast feature set and image quality of the 580. wife even loves it. I also find the tilting LCD very handy. I find myself using live view a lot because its much easier to compose an image with 3" tilting LCD then it is to look through the bad view optical viewfinder. I like it even shows me a histogram during liveview.

I handled a K7 a few weeks before buying the A580, i now see why people were raving how awesome they are in your hands with a vertical grip.

04-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
Luckily for me I just started into photography recently and had not built up a collection of lenses. I got an A580 and very happy with it. its not perfect, i liked the ergonomics of the K200 better and the optical viewfinder of the A580 is the worst ive ever experienced. However i am extremely happy with the vast feature set and image quality of the 580. wife even loves it. I also find the tilting LCD very handy. I find myself using live view a lot because its much easier to compose an image with 3" tilting LCD then it is to look through the bad view optical viewfinder. I like it even shows me a histogram during liveview.

I handled a K7 a few weeks before buying the A580, i now see why people were raving how awesome they are in your hands with a vertical grip.
Enjoy your new camera! I'm jealous of the swivel after seeing shots like this:
Re: Anyone else waiting for a swivel screen?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Also, my friend has a 60D and raves about it for high vertical shots too.

Is the ergonomics / grip of the A580 improved over their entry levels? I remember abhoring the A330 or so in comparison to the K-x, which had a nice deep grip.
04-08-2011, 08:21 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I was a big opponent of the Kr when it was first released but that was mainly due to the price being near $1000. Now that you can get it for $650 or even less than$600 body only I would say the Kr is your best bet. Like Adam said it's pretty much the watered down version of the K5. With getting the Kr over the a580 you can save $200-250 and get yourself another nice lens or a part of a really nice lens.
04-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #22
Forum Member

I agree that the K-r is a good deal, but it doesn't have a vertical grip option. If it did, that's the camera I would upgrade my K-x to.

04-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
I was speaking about the K-5 and K-r, which are about 4 million pixels different, though based on the same Sony technology.
Nope,not the exactly same sensor technology
The sensordesign is different.
Next will be a 35mm Sensor with same design.
But,Sony is not in production in this time
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I really wish pentax made a "watered down" version of the K5. you know like a K20d vs K200d. I want the K5 sensor, image quality but i dont need the weather sealing / magnesium alloy body. Sure id like those things but my budget doesnt allow me to spend $1400 on just a body.

My k200d will be sold this week and im looking at buying a Sony A580 to get that K5 sensor but in a cheaper body. Hopefully im still welcome here because I love the pentax forums and this forum is why i purchased two pentax cameras without hesistation. Actually I probably would be happy with another K-X if it had the ergonomics of the K200d. I really miss the high iso performance of the K-X.
04-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Kind of the point of Pentax is they don't really *make* things so 'watered down.' If you can't afford the latest sensor, wait a year and a half or two. Meanwhile, there's the one from the previous cycle. In the time and money the OP's spent chasing a new system, there's been K-5's for hundreds less around, even, and there's K-7s not looking so inaccessible, too. If money's the issue, sitting tight works.

Pentax isn't a big electronics company like some, but the good stuff is *still* accessible: every camera body depreciates when someone first opens the box, but paying for the latest whizbang or spec-on-paper is something that doesn't set a camera apart for *long* these days, while a lousy finder is a lousy finder, ..which is a real thing to consider.

If they wanted to make a 'stripped down' camera, it ought to be solid and basic, with only what makes better images, not putting fancy features in a crappy casing.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 04-11-2011 at 03:08 PM.
04-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #26

K7 is pretty cheap now and a serious heavy duty body. Check out Adam's low light adjustments. I'll get a K5 in 2 years or so, but the pluses of the K7 outweigh the minuses!
04-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
Veteran Member

With the a580 and d5100 out now the K-r isnt very competitive... we NEED a K-r update stat, with the new sensor
04-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt that Pentax will release a mid range camera any time soon. Not sure if they consider the K7 a mid range camera right now, but spacing and separation seems really important to them.

How many different cameras from Canon have an 18 megapixel sensor in them at this point? How many price points do Nikon and Sony hit? It is amazing really what they do. Would selling a kr with a K5 sensor be adequate? It seems the only sensor available that is truly a step up from the current 12 megapixel sensor currently in the kr, maybe in the fall we'll see it.
04-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Nope,not the exactly same sensor technology
The sensordesign is different.
Next will be a 35mm Sensor with same design.
But,Sony is not in production in this time
Do you know something about future plans or, are you just speculating?
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #30

I don't think Pentax has the muscle for all the market niches that the big companies do. I.e. Entry/Mid/High-entry - D3100/D5100/D7000 with a separate Pro line. The K-r doesn't have the same sensor as the D5100 but it's competitive and it came out a lot earlier, grabbing some Christmas market. That's just the way it goes.

The K-x made a splash because it was a "high-entry" spec with an entry level price. Pentax is doing a good job against some industry giants but I think they have the price too high still.