Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Do you know something about future plans or, are you just speculating?
Talk with Pentax weekly and last week with sony.
Problem is Sony is out of Sensorproduction.Pentax will not have a 35mm Sensor in future.
but what do you think about a k-r with k-5 sensortec???

04-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
Problem is Sony is out of Sensorproduction.Pentax will not have a 35mm Sensor in future.
I really don't care so much about entry level cameras, personally. When I have saved the funds, I will likely get a K5. I don't know about the separation between the camera lines.

I have thought that the full frame might be a possibility for the follow up to the K5. Just feels like it is about as far as APS-C can go. At the same time, the lens line up would require significant work if they were to go that route.
04-16-2011, 08:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Sorry,no 35mm Sensor in the next model.
The next new Pentaxstuff will be on show at exebition in berlin/germany.
04-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by InlawBiker Quote
I don't think Pentax has the muscle for all the market niches that the big companies do. I.e. Entry/Mid/High-entry - D3100/D5100/D7000 with a separate Pro line. The K-r doesn't have the same sensor as the D5100 but it's competitive and it came out a lot earlier, grabbing some Christmas market. That's just the way it goes.

The K-x made a splash because it was a "high-entry" spec with an entry level price. Pentax is doing a good job against some industry giants but I think they have the price too high still.
Some of the pricing's just hard to control for them, I think. Keeping em down (or bringing em back down) is kind of up to Hoya, I suspect, if they wanted to subsidize it to get some marketshare.

As for the ranges of camera, I think that as the tech advantage of the other companies becomes less relevant, they'll do OK with the last-years-models so to speak constituting the next step down, instead of making cheapified brand-new models that were never the best they could be.

One exception might be that they ought to consider adding something like a 'K-R Super' with the weathersealing and maybe a couple of other features desired for the outdoorsey set that just prefer the small size. Or just call it a WR skin or something.

04-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zackspeed Quote
So, if Sony is out of sensor production, what does that mean to the supply of sensors for D7000 and K5 going forward? or is that a different plant?
04-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Sony is producing only the minisensor for P&S Cameras in China.
So Nikon is still producing 2/3 of P&S cameras.
No production of D7000 at this time.
Same with Pentax today.
End of may i am visiting pentax again.
Maybe then anything new about that.
Best regards,Andy
04-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ive spent more time with my A580, and im really missing my pentax button layout/ergonomics. I think ill keep this a580 for a few years, then sell it and get a K5 when the price has come down.

IQ wise the a580 is excellent, i like to shoot apeture priority mode but a lot of my shots turn out over exposed. My pentax always was accurate exposing the picture, but the a580 forces me to use full manual more often then i would like.