Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
I wish pentax made a K-50 (cheaper k5)

I really wish pentax made a "watered down" version of the K5. you know like a K20d vs K200d. I want the K5 sensor, image quality but i dont need the weather sealing / magnesium alloy body. Sure id like those things but my budget doesnt allow me to spend $1400 on just a body.

My k200d will be sold this week and im looking at buying a Sony A580 to get that K5 sensor but in a cheaper body. Hopefully im still welcome here because I love the pentax forums and this forum is why i purchased two pentax cameras without hesistation. Actually I probably would be happy with another K-X if it had the ergonomics of the K200d. I really miss the high iso performance of the K-X.

11-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's lacking in the K-r's specification that makes it an unfit choice? Same sensor technology, just slightly fewer pixels.
11-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I Do not think you will get the high ISO on the A580, it's rated max 12800 but this look like a good consumer poduct at a very attractive price
11-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax's got it all at the moment (a first) - the watered down K-5 is either the K-7 or K-r.

11-16-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I suggest a Kx. It's cheaper, and delivers better high ISO performance than the K7.
11-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The A580 looks to be an interesting camera. The phase detect during live view, combined with the swiveling screen, would be quite useful for me. And, of course, you would still be welcome here, although perhaps we couldn't be as helpful for camera-specific questions.

From your current camera/lens, the A580 and 16-80 lens looks to be a pretty good combination. And Sony has several affordable primes. You could well be very happy with that equipment.

But that's the thing: you've apparently bought and sold a K-x, and now a K200d. If you buy and sell a third camera, and end up buying a K-5, that will have cost far more than just saving up for the camera you'll ultimately keep for several years. Personally, I have found it cheaper to either buy what I want or to make do with what I have; buying something better, but which you'll never be entirely satisfied with, is always more expensive than buying the thing you want in the first place. Before you buy the A580, I strongly recommend making sure that it fits your needs and wants to make sure that you'll be satisfied keeping it for several years. (The same goes for any large purchase, even of Pentax equipment.)
11-17-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
The way i see it is the A580 will have to be better then the A55 but probably not as good as the nikon d7000. I have pixel peeped some high ISO a580 shots and been quit impressed -- hanging tight on professional reviews though. I was thinking of buying the a580 without kit lens and then getting a sony 50mm F1.8 prime for $125 to start.

K-R fixed some of my complaints about the K-X but i want more cropping power and ideally better ergonomics. (K-R electronics in my K200d and id be quite happy) My k200d has the extended battery grip and it makes shooting photos a lot more enjoyable when the camera feels so good in the hands. with that said, i may not like the a580 body either since i havent handled one.
11-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
The way i see it is the A580 will have to be better then the A55 but probably not as good as the nikon d7000. I have pixel peeped some high ISO a580 shots and been quit impressed -- hanging tight on professional reviews though. I was thinking of buying the a580 without kit lens and then getting a sony 50mm F1.8 prime for $125 to start.

K-R fixed some of my complaints about the K-X but i want more cropping power and ideally better ergonomics. (K-R electronics in my K200d and id be quite happy) My k200d has the extended battery grip and it makes shooting photos a lot more enjoyable when the camera feels so good in the hands. with that said, i may not like the a580 body either since i havent handled one.
based on the admittedly few Sony DSLR models I've handled, buying one for its ergonomics seems like buying a Ferrari for its fuel economy. The A330 and other Sonys I've held are dreadful, and the viewfinder eye relief is atrocious.

11-17-2010, 10:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I think buttons is voicing some angst that is common to a lot of us Pentaxians. Pentax introduced 3 new cameras this year and of course none of them have dropped much in price to speak of. I paid roughly $700 for the K10d and later the same price for a K20d by buying off the peak prices, and then some.

What i really want is the K5, but find that i'm going to have to wait a bit before i make the jump at a price level thats twice what i usually pay.

I suspect that buttons and myself are fairly typical of a segment of the Pentax community in our reactions to the new cameras and their higher prices; Pentax is probably keeping around the Kx and K7 to provide some lower cost alternatives. Is it going to be enough to build market share?

2 Nikon friends from my camera club, both longtime Nikon owners; one has upgraded to the D7000 and the other is about to.

With the American dollar sagging and economic problems in some European countries as well, I think fewer camera owners are going to be changing out their older cameras every model year.

Me? I'll wait for 6 months to see what the K5 pricing is like this summer rather than buy something now that i won't be happy with longer term.

Last edited by philbaum; 11-17-2010 at 01:14 PM.
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #10

Original Poster
For the price I really wanted to upgrade to a K20d but it lacks video too and thats sometime my wife really wants. ( i cant buy two cameras and id rather have one item that does it all for me ).

K7 low light performance isnt very impressive to me and it price remains higher then i care to spend for it. Camera's that I am considering would be a used K-X, nikon D3100, D7000, sony A55, A580, Canon T2i.

K-R isnt on the list because it costs twice as much as the K-X but not twice the camera.

While I found the K-X a more functional camera then my K200d, i find shooting with the K200d to be more fun. So if pentax made a K200d body with K-X electronics id be extremely happy to stick pentax. thats really the sum of my feelings.
11-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
What's lacking in the K-r's specification that makes it an unfit choice? Same sensor technology, just slightly fewer pixels.
No, it is not the same sensor.
11-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
No, it is not the same sensor.
I was speaking about the K-5 and K-r, which are about 4 million pixels different, though based on the same Sony technology.
11-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The K200D does not have the same electronics as the K20D (e.g. 10MP versus 14MP sensor). So a K50 will probably have the 12MP sensor. And it will have a pentamirror instead of pentaprism. And it will have ...

So what you're basically describing is the K-r (as mentioned by unixrevolution). The only thing it might not have (can't check) is a cable release connection and the option for a battery grip.

With regards to ergonomics. I have the K100D and K10D; ergonomics of both are very good for me. I recently bought the K5; I did not expect it to happen but ergonomics are (for me) better than either of the other two. Only button at the wrong place at this moment is the 'green button'.

Did you handle K-r/K-x ?
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by buttons Quote
I really wish pentax made a "watered down" version of the K5.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but ... you have my sympathies."
-- Ash from "Alien"
11-18-2010, 06:46 AM   #15

Original Poster
I shot about 3500 pictures with a K-X and ive shot about 1000 pictures with the K200d. I have not handled a K7/K5 but read good things about the ergonomics of those. I have not handled the K-R either but i am under the assumption it is the same as the K-X.