Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2007, 04:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K100D Freezing up?

I was out covering a Frosh (aka freshman) parade two weeks ago and my K100D was starting act weird during the parade. Like it would emit this low volume squeal when I pressed the shutter button. (SR was off, temperature was normal. Low 20-something Celsius? or ~70F) I thought it might have been my ownuser K100D grip so I took it off and put 4 fresh NiHMs into the camera.

Moments later it would stop talking pics again. I tried turning it off and then on again but it was still bugged. Then, I took off the lens, remounted. After two-three cycles, the camera will return to normal. But 4-5 shots later it would again refuse to take a picture. At first I though it was the AFswitch on AF by accident but that wasn't it either.

After the parade, rain sprinkled for a few seconds so I put the camera away for a good 10mins or so. When it stopped, I took the camera back out, Lens and Ownuser Grip and the camera was fine again. No hiccups after that.

I thought maybe it was because of the sheer volume of photos I was taking that day and the camera was getting stressed out. I was gonna take it back to the store to inquire but the hiccups was only during the parade and it hasn't given me a problem since.

I was just browsing around on DPR active forum box just now and saw the "40D bites the dust." thread and had a good chuckle. But, if a 40D CMOS sensor can 'overheat' and then refuse to take photos, I realized that it could have been the case for my K100D during the parade. What do you guys think?

09-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I suppose it's possible.

I've had the noise happen in COLD weather with long exposures when I never thought about turning SR off, but when I turned it off the problem went away.
09-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #3

Here's a little FREE program that looks at the Exif data of your pictures. This one is pretty extensive and down under the manufacturer notes it will give you the temperature of the camera. Is it accurate? Don't know, but you can compare the temperature to pictures where you were not having any problems.

Just a thought.

Mike

Here's the link: PhotoME - Exif & IPTC Metadata Editor

Last edited by MSmith1915; 09-22-2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Forgot the link to free program
09-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link! I never knew there was this much information in the EXIF. Anyhow I got 36C (~97F) for the camera temperature in the photos just before the freeze ups.

09-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That shouldn't be a problem.

I must have shot several images in air temperatures hotter than that.