Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K20D warm viewfinder?

Hey guys, so I noticed while out shooting earlier today that my K20D viewfinder just seems... really warm. What I mean by that is that I was out around noon, and through the viewfinder, it looked almost like the golden hour. At first I thought this was kind of cool, but then I realized after coming inside that it's something of a disadvantage... the viewfinder definitely seems darker than the one on my K-x. Is this normal? I thought pentaprisms were supposed to be "brighter" than pentamirrors?

I'll try to get some pics of it tonight.

Edit: another advantage was that I could easily read the bottom status bar when shooting in bright sun light, which I normally am unable to do easily with my K-x. Again, I don't know if this is normal, or some weird benefit...

11-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any K20D owners care to chime in?
11-17-2010, 10:38 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would say my K20 viewfinder is very slightly warm. Not so much that you'd think of it under most conditions. Less than any warming filters I've used. (I tested looking at a blank white wall with no lens attached.)

I have a katz eye focusing screen, though I don't think that makes any difference here.
11-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Well if it was a plastic view finder I would perhaps think that it was degrading, but it's glass, right? Is the light from the status bar perhaps giving a weird reflection in the view finder which gives off a yellowish tint?

11-18-2010, 09:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine seems bright enough, but my bad eyes probably wouldn't be able to tell unless the view finder was totally dark.
11-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
I would say my K20 viewfinder is very slightly warm. Not so much that you'd think of it under most conditions. Less than any warming filters I've used. (I tested looking at a blank white wall with no lens attached.)

I have a katz eye focusing screen, though I don't think that makes any difference here.
I apparently didn't think much of it either when I first got the camera and shot a largely indoor set. Once I used it in bright sunlight though, I quickly realized something was up.

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
Well if it was a plastic view finder I would perhaps think that it was degrading, but it's glass, right? Is the light from the status bar perhaps giving a weird reflection in the view finder which gives off a yellowish tint?
Yes I'm pretty sure most of the components are glass. I really doubt it's the status bar either, since I can leave the camera off, look through the viewfinder, and it's exactly the same as with the status bar illuminated.

I should note that I didn't mess with the diopter adjustment, and that it looks the same with any lens attached. Still quite puzzled...
11-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like your mirror may be tinted or tainted in some way. I've never noticed anything like that with my K20D.
11-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got some feedback from Pentax. Nice that they responded to my email so quickly, although I have a feeling that if I send it in, it'll be out of commission for a while

QuoteQuote:
Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Focusing screens may have a very, very slight tint to them but they are calibrated with the AF and AE system in the camera for proper exposure metering and autofocus. You shouldn't really see a noticeable tint to the image in the viewfinder. Its possible your refurbished K20D doesn't have the original LF-80 frame matte focusing screen. The K20D should appear as bright or probably brighter than the Penta Mirror viewfinder in the K-x. You might want to contact Woot to see if you can exchange the camera.

To have your camera checked out by our service department I would recommend you return your camera directly to Pentax Imaging Company at the address listed below for examination.

Pentax Service Department
250 North 54th St.
Chandler, AZ 85226

[...]

11-19-2010, 02:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That sucks, but at least you have the K-x to lean back on. My K10D is my only digital body.