Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 11:47 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Lens suggestion...

Hi I am about to purchase a k-r, what lens do you suggest for indoor sports? And do you think the kit 55-300 would do some otudoor?

Thanks

11-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indoor sports = usually bad lighting = need for fast lens.

What sports? If it is something like basketball, volleyball etc where you are usually able to sit fairly close you will be happy with the pentax da 50-135 f2.8 lens. I use it and its nice but depending on your needs it maybe either too expensive or not long enough. If not long enough look for a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. Dont have the 55-300 so can't comment on it.
11-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm not a sports shooter, but I think the 55-300 does well enough in the right lighting conditions. Use TV mode, AF-C, and Auto ISO.

Oct 08, 2010 - a set on Flickr

As for indoor sports, look at something like the DA* 50-135.
11-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thank you,
indoor will be ballet, dance and tae kwon do..ç
So i think i can get pretty close. Is 2.8 enough? I´ve heard people saying a minimun of 1.8?
Thanks, I am really starting out

11-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marubex Quote
thank you,
Is 2.8 enough? I´ve heard people saying a minimun of 1.8?
There are trade-offs to going for faster and faster glass. If you shoot at 1.8, you will wind up with only part of what you are shooting in focus. Sometimes that is what you want. But not always. 2.8 is usually pretty good for most situations.

You are getting a k-r, it should perform well in the less than ideal lighting conditions. Use shutter priority and play with the iso setting prior to the performance to see what you can get away with. I used to shoot indoor with at least 800 iso and often higher. My camera was the k2000 which led to images with noise and had to be cleaned up using software in the computer. With the k-r you should be able to get better images even with higher iso. I have shot dance recitals for my daughter. What I used to do was shoot pictures of the performers that went before her to find out what settings worked best so that by the time she came on I did not need to fiddle with the settings so much.

If you are 'starting out' in the full sense of the word, take some tutorials at your local community college or from a photographer and learn the basics of manual settings and then take pictures as often as you can and you will be all set. Go to the library and simply browse through photo books and you will get plenty of ideas about composition. These things are more important. The camera and the lens are only tools, its more important to learn how to use them effectively.
11-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread comes in handy as I just posted a similar one in the K-r Forum, and it is here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/122979-what-better-zoom-lens-k-r.html

Any suggestion(s) would be welcome!

JP
11-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
jpzk, i can't open the tread.. could you repost it?

11-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #8
Inactive Account

With the range of useable ISO your get with the k-x/k-r, the 55-300 would work fine. It works as an f/4 lens almost out to 200mm. Depending on how close you are to your subject that may be all you need. And you'll only be a stop slower than a 2.8 lens. If you can swing a constant 2.8 lens, then by all means go for it.
11-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by marubex Quote
jpzk, i can't open the tread.. could you repost it?
I just tried it and it worked!??

So, I am reposting here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/122979-what-better-zoom-lens-k-r.html

JP
11-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DonP Quote
With the range of useable ISO your get with the k-x/k-r, the 55-300 would work fine. It works as an f/4 lens almost out to 200mm. Depending on how close you are to your subject that may be all you need. And you'll only be a stop slower than a 2.8 lens. If you can swing a constant 2.8 lens, then by all means go for it.
Thanks Don.

Yes, this is one lens I have kept an eye on. Hopefully there will be one in the Market Place.

Of course, an F2.8 (70-200) would be great, but I don't think that the budget would allow that at this time.

Cheers.

JP