Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Now I'm torn; k7 vs Kr round two

I went back and forth on these two and finally decided the K7 would win... this is until yesterday I ran into the DFS issues. Sure, I'd seen it before but never full understood what it was all about. I don't know that I'll do a lot of exposures that are super long BUT if I do I would like to be able to fire off another shot right after if needed / wanted.

But my understanding of DFS is that if I were to do a 4 hour exposure, it would be a full 8 hours before the camera processed the one image? Does the image have to have the dark shot to work OR is it something that can be done in PP?

I understand that DFS can be disabled on the KR in bulb mode but not the K7. Should this be a deal breaker for someone that might use it "from time to time"?

11-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Personally I would never make that a deal breaker. Then again most of my time exposures are no longer than a second or two. Other than astrophotography, I can't think of to many situation that it would be problem. If I used bulb regularly maybe it would be an issue. I have owned my K7 more than a year, and have never found a reason yet to use bulb.
11-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
Personally I would never make that a deal breaker. Then again most of my time exposures are no longer than a second or two. Other than astrophotography, I can't think of to many situation that it would be problem. If I used bulb regularly maybe it would be an issue. I have owned my K7 more than a year, and have never found a reason yet to use bulb.
Thanks. That's kind of the answer I wanted to hear but..
11-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use bulb working with macro of small electronics where I need to pull up alot of small fine details, but those shots normally are less than a minute. The K200D can turn off DFS, but if I tried to use my K20D for this, with it's forced DFS (which I don't) it would double my work time needed, which would come out of my pocket.

11-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I use bulb working with macro of small electronics where I need to pull up alot of small fine details, but those shots normally are less than a minute. The K200D can turn off DFS, but if I tried to use my K20D for this, with it's forced DFS (which I don't) it would double my work time needed, which would come out of my pocket.
DFS can be shut off for exposures of under 30 seconds on K20 and K7. I haven't run into any issues in normal shooting, but I don't shoot a lot of astro photography.
11-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
but I don't shoot a lot of astro photography.
I really wont be able to do a lot. I live very close to the downtown area and the sky lights up pretty well at night. Now if I'm out camping or something like that the ability would be nice.

I think I'll stick to my guns with the 7. I really REALLY wish I could do the 5 but it's still just too rich for my blood at this time.
11-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm now throwing another wrench into the gears. IF and only IF I can start picking up a lens here and a lens there over the course of the next month or two, I might MAYBE be able to pick up the K5.
11-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chadci Quote
I'm now throwing another wrench into the gears. IF and only IF I can start picking up a lens here and a lens there over the course of the next month or two, I might MAYBE be able to pick up the K5.
This is only my opinion so take it for whatever you think it's worth.

First, DFS with the K7. Correct, there is no way to turn it off and hasn't been (in this lineup) since the K10d. It Can be turned off in the K5 and for me that's welcome re-introduction of a feature. I don't do a lot of more than 30 second (the exposure time where DFS takes affect). When I do try a star trail shot or similar, it's nice to just be able to re-shoot right away or at the very least, not have to wait for the camera to do it's thing. 4 hours is an extreme example but not one that someone may not try. The Real problem with that (if DFS is used) will be battery life. Camera on for 8 hours straight.

So here it is.. Buy the best you can from the get go. I see very little point in 'settling' for less than what you want unless you Simply cannot afford it. In the end, it only costs you more to go the constant try, sell, and re-buy route. The K-7 is a damn fine camera IMO but if you can swing the K-5, go for it. It'll only hurt for a little while and in the end, I think you'll be that much happier with your choice.

As for the lens vs camera debate, yes, ok, I see a lot of validity in spending the money on the glass rather than chasing the body. However, a bag full of prime glass is absolutely useless (not worthless) if you don't have a camera to put them on. I don't know your exact current situation, but if you're after a camera that'll turn off DFS, is WR, inexpensive, and is still a very viable camera, get a K10d. Keep the ISO below 400 and most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference in results between That camera and a brand spanking new K-5. (For the record, I'm a bit of a gadget chaser which is why I've had and will continue to have the latest).

That's my 3

11-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
You're exactly right. I don't want to buy one that I have to replace later on because I settled. It's ALWAYS more expensive that way.