Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2006, 11:39 PM   #1
Forum Member

K10D and a big nasty stripe

Well, for all the discussion about "banding" which in each case I've seen has really been about vertically patterned noise - I found a real band.

I noticed it when playing around with some longish night shots (longish being ~10-30 seconds). It occurs in the same place each time regardless of lens, iso, or noise reduction setting. I haven't seen it in any "real" pictures yet, but I do shoot abstracts so any experiment can become a "real" picture for me.

Attached is a full shot and a 100% crop (that's the moon, btw). This picture was pushed to make that big fat stripe as apparent as possible, but it has annoyingly reared it's head in lesser circumstances.

I emailed "userassistance@pentax.com" (it was on the little paper in the box) a couple dng files to see what they have to say about it. If anyone knows a better way to get support from pentax please let me know.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   

Last edited by Paul_C; 12-06-2006 at 07:23 AM.
12-05-2006, 12:57 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks to me like a memory card issue. Are you using name brand cards? Try another one, or a different brand, and see if the artifact persists.
12-05-2006, 02:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Maybe the card is okey but a related possible error might be the transfer of data from card to computer. I once had several pictures affected with something very similar (*ist DS, Sandisk card) and got pretty upset. After some help I nailed the problem to a card reader that wasn't entirely reliable. If you haven't overwritten the files you can try another card reader, another computer, direct connection from camera just to make sure it isn't data transfer chain.
Do you get the same problem with other cards?
12-05-2006, 04:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks like the moon moved on you

12-05-2006, 06:21 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by jbarnhart Quote
Looks to me like a memory card issue.
if the stripe occurs at the exact same place every time, then it isn't very likely to be a memory card issue...

of course, try replacing the cards, but perhaps it would be best if you just wait for support from Pentax.
12-06-2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by darksorrow Quote
if the stripe occurs at the exact same place every time, then it isn't very likely to be a memory card issue...
I based my observation on the fact that the lines occur in a group of 8, evenly spaced on alternating pixels, and occur for the entire length of the photo. This certainly suggests memory addressing to me. But your milage may vary. Since it's relatively easy to buy, borrow, or steal a different memory card it seemed like a quick thing to check.
12-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll track down and try another card tomorrow evening. Thanks for the tip.

12-06-2006, 03:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I am curious to know why you are waiting for Pentax to reply - why not just take the camera back to the retailer!!!

Exchange or refund. Man this would really mak me a little leary.
12-06-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Okay, tried a different card with the same results. If I don't get word back from Pentax tonight I'll give them a call tomorrow.
12-06-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

shouldnt u still be within the 30 day period..i'd just return it...
12-06-2006, 11:05 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_C Quote
Okay, tried a different card with the same results. If I don't get word back from Pentax tonight I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Are you using a card reader or uploading directly from the camera? Just wondering. And what kind of memory are you using anyway? Just curious.
12-07-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm uploading directly from the camera. The main card I use is a 4gb transcend and the other I tried is a 1gb pqi.

As for all those asking why I don't just return it, I ordered it online from B&H who's return period is only 14 days (I just missed this mark) and their policy requires the shutter count to be under 200 clicks (I've exceeded this dramatically.)

Pentax never emailed me back so I'll give them a call today.
12-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #13

That stinks about B&H's policy, usually it's longer at most places. And Transcend cards I hear are really good, my mother in law uses a pqi 512 for her p&s and it has been flawless for a year or more.

Hope things work out. That stinks but sometimes I wonder if it's because Pentax was too hasty in making the k10 in time for x-mas.
12-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #14

I showed this thread to my photo friend and he said your sensor is shot. It's a defect and seems to hit all brands and types of sensors. Esp. the Sony a100/Minolta sensors and C*non (gasp). He has a friend who shoots w/ an Olympus e-300 like his and he gets the same banding but only at iso 800
01-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just install the firmware 1.10 and the stripe is gone! Yippie!

Makes me glad I put off sending in the camera