Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-x: 3 secs lag between picure is taken and displayed

Hi to everybody.

I'm new to the K-x and is really fine (I also have a Canon EOS 50D).

I'm asking myself if it's normal to have a 3 seconds time lag between when a picture is shot and it is previewed on the LCD. This happens in any node: JPEG and RAW+JPEG no matter the jpeg resolution.

Hope my questio is clear.

TIA

majortom

11-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you may have all the corrections (chromatic aberration and lens distortion correction) turned on, and probably the Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction features turned on as well. You are asking the camera to do a lot of processing of your images before they are saved to disk. Hence the delay. The manual (p-139) advises that using these features may delay shooting speed.

The other cause may simply be a slow memory card.
11-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

yeah sounds like corrections to me too - recently turned them on on my k7 and thought it had broken at first lol then remembered i had changed the settings 2 days before after noticing my some CA in some images when i got home
11-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Chromatic aberration and Lens distortion correction enabled or not make no difference. I'm going to check now Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction.
By the way: without memory card is very fast, around 1/4 - 1/2 sec.

Thanks
majortom

11-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
OK, if ANY of the above mentioned functions is enabled the lag is heavy. It is also reported on the manual. I'm sad the same processor is in the K-r...
Thanks again.
majortom
11-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I shoot in RAW+ and have the corrections enabled.

Note that your shooting style will have an impact on whether any image processing delays bother you. I don't immediately try and chimp every shot, and I also shoot with the immediate image review feature turned completely off because it annoys the hell out of me to have the last image I shot flashing up at me all the time. So the lag you describe is something I personally do not notice at all in regular use of the camera.
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You receivad already a lot of good advice.

The in-camera processing can take up to 1-3 sec.. One function, the lens distortion correction , is particularly time-consuming.

Overall I switch off all in-camera corrections and I prefer to do the PP afterwards on my computer. (In my case, I use simply PDCU 4.31.)

Hope that the comments will help.
11-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One more thing that can cause extra lag is the Copyright Information. If you have this turned on, the camera has to write the info to the picture before it can display it.

11-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you don't have lens correction enabled, and without the card the delay is gone, then the delay is being caused by your SD card, you have a slow one.

Get a better one, preferably SDHC.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 11-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
One more thing that can cause extra lag is the Copyright Information. If you have this turned on, the camera has to write the info to the picture before it can display it.
Did you found this on the manual or is that just supposition?

I would hardly believe saving a couple extra bytes into the EXIF makes any difference.
11-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If your a raw shooter there is no point having the corrections on.
11-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
THANKS TO EVERYBODY !!!

Nice to now that with RAW (my standard) any correction is useless but... also for the lene distorsion?

majortom
11-19-2010, 03:45 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
If you don't have lens correction enabled, and without the card the delay is gone, then the delay is being caused by your SD card, you have a slow one.

Get a better one, preferably SDHC.
Thanks, it's a SanDisk Extreme III Class 6 and gives a 20-25 Mbyte/sec in writing (I personally tested it). i therefore believe the hardest impact on performance come from image processing options.
11-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #14
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
Did you found this on the manual or is that just supposition?

I would hardly believe saving a couple extra bytes into the EXIF makes any difference.
+1 with you.
This was discussed in an earlier thread and there is no proof that the Copyright adds to writing time.

I add that I did myself some tests with and without copyright, in Hi continuous shooting and I noted no difference at all.
11-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by majortom Quote
THANKS TO EVERYBODY !!!

Nice to now that with RAW (my standard) any correction is useless but... also for the lene distorsion?

majortom
The distortion correction doesn't seem to do anything to the RAW image itself: I tried this with the kit lens @18mm on a tiled wall and the barrel distortion was still there, it was removed from the embedded JPEG, however, and this is apparently where the processing time goes when shooting with RAW only. It might add some correction parameters or such to the file though that PP programs could use (?).