Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

My last camera.

OK, Guys. This is really a" fork in the road" for me.

I have been taking photos for over 40 years. First SLR camera was may be the best camera I've ever had. A Topcon D. It saw 2 boys raised. Two different wives. Many vacations and parties.

I have been using a K10 for about 3 years and I'm sticking with Pentax. I just bought a Tamron 10-24 for vacations to come. I really like taking landscapes.

Here's the question: I'm going to upgrade "one last time". Should I buy a K-r or a K-5. That's it!

Thanks in advance.

11-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it really is the last time, I'd get the most features you want and can afford. To me, the K-5 sounds awesome but it is missing a feature I want, found on some models of other brands (so I have hope for the future). I am holding out this time around (again).
11-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
OK, Guys. This is really a" fork in the road" for me.

I have been taking photos for over 40 years. First SLR camera was may be the best camera I've ever had. A Topcon D. It saw 2 boys raised. Two different wives. Many vacations and parties.

I have been using a K10 for about 3 years and I'm sticking with Pentax. I just bought a Tamron 10-24 for vacations to come. I really like taking landscapes.

Here's the question: I'm going to upgrade "one last time". Should I buy a K-r or a K-5. That's it!
You sound a lot like me. I too used a Topcon II for years as my primary camera and then went to Pentax where I've stayed for years. I currently own a K-10D which I love and feel it's a great camera. If I last longer than my K-10D and need to upgrade, I think I will go with the K-5 or whichever camera that Pentax has on the top of their line at the time. (or what my wife will let me spend). My thoughts are, that you should go for the gusto and enjoy life while you can.
11-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If this is for sure your last upgrade then there is no question you should get the K5. Probably the best camera Pentax ever made and will be the "better" camera longer than the Kr.

11-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Definitely K-5 if it's your last.
11-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Definitely K-5 if it's your last.
If not a 645D, then a k-5.
11-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Especially for landscapes, the K5 will be far better.

11-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have to agree. Go out with a bang and get the K5.
11-18-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Is there a need for an upgrade now?

If it has to be, it should be the K5. With the K-r (if it's similar to the K-x)
  • you probably will miss some of the controls that make life with a K10D easier (dual dial, instant switching between metering modes)
  • lack of support for wired remote and wireless remote only works from the front
I have the K100D, K10D and K5. Personally I do not miss a second dial on my K100D, but I do miss the control for switching between metering modes on it.
11-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-5 will see you out, you deserve it. Its also more likely to last till your grand or great grand kids find it.
11-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks ya'll.

I agree with all of you. I'll wait until after Christmas to see if the K-5 price comes down.
11-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really do respect your decision to upgrade one last time and then get off of the consumer carousel. It might take me a while longer, but I sincerely hope to join you in that decision eventually.

Here is a suggestion: IF you are determined that this will be your last upgrade, then I think you should decide on a camera, and from that moment stop reading reviews when new models are released, which they probably will be perpetually at a rate of about one or two a year.

And if this is what you plan to do, then I think you would save yourself money and test your own resolution by waiting until the next model comes out - less than a year definitely.

I would go for K5. It sounds nearly perfect to me.

So my advice is to enjoy your K10d for another few months, and then when everybody's focus is shifting to the newest model, pick up a used K5 from the marketplace. It will still be a brilliant camera, it will cost less, and since you plan to use it for years, a few months of previous use will make very little difference.

I don't know if I could follow this advice myself - I changed from K10-d to K7 myself last christmas, and if I HAD waited until the K5 was released I could not have resisted buying that one instead. But I still think it is sound advice... :-)
11-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rangerbob36 Quote
I'm going to upgrade "one last time". Should I buy a K-r or a K-5. That's it!
K-5.

This coming from someone who has a '10, '20, and just purchased a K-r.

If this really is your last upgrade, get the maximum feature set you can get.

For me, a weather-sealed body that shoots five shot brackets is non-negotiable. High ISO is starting to creep into the mix. A K-5 is in my future, just not at the current price point.

woof!
11-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Another vote for the K5.
11-22-2010, 12:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Hell does not start with an "H", it starts with an "E" and ends with an "H" and displays art within its realm.........................Anyone??????
Earth?