Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #31
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,533
To the moderators.
This discussions thread is going nowhere. Thank you to close it.

A key feature of the Pentaxforum.com is the well-behaved membership who do genuinely want to assist the others. There is no place for sectarism, insults or unhelpful comments...

End of story. Full stop.

11-20-2010, 02:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Have any of you ever worked with engineers? Or eaten lunch with one? In general, these aren't normal people. So I totally understand the OP's trepidation with this.
I have, say more than 10 faculty friends in Computers and also Electronics department, that is the claim I keep saying. Their only reaction was, "your dept is more nutsy".
11-20-2010, 03:21 AM   #33
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: South Yorkshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
Time to put this one to bed, I think.

Jason wrote : Please, dont take what I am saying as sarcastic, but you have to be kidding to think this is a "Pentax user" trait exclusively?

Certainly not. There are many out there who can't grasp the difference between face to face conversation, with its subtleties and non-verbal content, and written communication which can need qualification for absolute clarity. I work in an environment where sarcasm and irony are used all day every day; when I take up my keyboard, though, I'm very careful not to do so. The Pentax users reference was purely because I joined this forum for its Pentax relevance and one of the first threads I followed was this one, with its charm and sparkling wit. (THAT was sarcastic ! !)

Now, let's all go out and wear out those Pentaxes - or is is Pentaces?


11-20-2010, 03:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member
Jasvox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,110
QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Jason wrote : Please, dont take what I am saying as sarcastic, but you have to be kidding to think this is a "Pentax user" trait exclusively?

Certainly not. There are many out there who can't grasp the difference between face to face conversation, with its subtleties and non-verbal content, and written communication which can need qualification for absolute clarity. I work in an environment where sarcasm and irony are used all day every day; when I take up my keyboard, though, I'm very careful not to do so. The Pentax users reference was purely because I joined this forum for its Pentax relevance and one of the first threads I followed was this one, with its charm and sparkling wit. (THAT was sarcastic ! !)

Now, let's all go out and wear out those Pentaxes - or is is Pentaces?


I agree!

Jason

11-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #35
Veteran Member
omega leader's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Niagara Region, Ontario Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 417
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Have any of you ever worked with engineers? Or eaten lunch with one? In general, these aren't normal people.

Stupid engineering, brought to you by engineers.
As someone who eats every meal with engineers (can't eat without yourself) I resemble that remark.

However I think you are confused. Everything engineers do makes perfect sense, you just don't know the parameters they were working under. And by parameters I mean the marketing and PHB.
11-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
Sorry if what I said upthread caused any offense; certainly wasn't intended to.
11-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #37
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,621
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'll drink my horrid Islay Scotch that smells like Dettol tonight.
HEY! That better be sarcasm, bub, or we're gonna have a serious problem here!



11-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,621
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote

A key feature of the Pentaxforum.com is the well-behaved membership who do genuinely want to assist the others.
Not as much lately, as in the past it seems.................

11-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 316
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'll do some sort of penance.
I know, I'll drink my horrid Islay Scotch that smells like Dettol tonight.

thumbsup!
11-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #40
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 120
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It's true, the OP asked a legitimate question, I felt and maybe others felt at unease with the red blinking light too. And RTFM was no appropriate answer.

However, I don't think deadwolfbones wanted to insult or to be rude. He just had a bad moment and was impatient. Not very friendly indeed.

So maybe, we give him a break too. The call for friendlyness and correctness can be tiring too. The most easy way to live a forum is tolerance and assuming others mean it in a good way
Your answer is the only one that answered anything of my question. You are the first person to even HINT that the blinking red light is normal and happens to everyone.

This is all i wanted to know, and perhaps yes, i did not type the question out eloquently enough or specify that i wanted to know if this happened to everyone or just me, i was jumped on and told to read the manual, which doesn't tell me anything i don't already know about the firmware installation.
11-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #41
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
I've watched this happen in a number of other threads. Maybe it is or isn't helpful to suggest that someone read the instructions. However, not every suggestion that someone consult the manual is intended to be hurtful, nor is it the equivalent of saying "RTFM" --a vulgar and insulting statement if written out.

We should perhaps be judicious in suggesting the manual for an answer to a question; nevertheless, it will, IMHO, help keep the tone of the forum more helpful if we did not jump on any poster who suggests that one consult the instructions with even harsher statements. Perhaps this is a time and place for a PM.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-20-2010 at 12:37 PM.
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #42
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Madison, Wis., USA
Posts: 1,510
I'll second Falk, here.

It's sometimes hard to be impatient with the impatient (responders, not the OP), but it's necessary if we are to break the chain. A simple note will usually suffice. If not, we have mods. We won't need them with these folks, though. They're good people at heart.

On another topic entirely, there's a reason, probably taste, that caused my sole bottle of Laphroaig to hang around longer than my first four girlfriends put together.

Ummm, there's a putting-together girlfriend image there that ..... oh, never mind.
11-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #43
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
there's a reason, probably taste, that caused my sole bottle of Laphroaig to hang around longer than my first four girlfriends put together.

Ummm, there's a putting-together girlfriend image there that ..... oh, never mind.
You either love Islay or you don't. You could have sent that Laprhaiog south and west and its life would have been short and cheery.
11-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #44
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've watched this happen in a number of other threads. Maybe it is or isn't helpful to suggest that someone read the instructions. However, not every suggestion that someone consult the manual is intended to be hurtful, nor is it the equivalent of saying "RTFM" --a vulgar and insulting statement if written out.

We should perhaps be judicious in suggesting the manual for an answer to a question; nevertheless, it will, IMHO, help keep the tone of the forum more helpful if we did not jump on any poster who suggests that one consult the instructions with even harsher statements. Perhaps this is a time and place for a PM.
Sometimes, "let me Google this for you" or an equivalent is the best answer. To my mind, teaching a person how to fish is more helpful in the long run than giving them the fish in the first place.

Here's a question for you: "Could someone tell me how to do colour management?"

Really, what's the best answer? A couple of links or a 3000 word treatise?

When someone comes on (I'm not talking about the OP here, this is a generalization) and asks a question that proves they have in no way tried to help themselves, what is wrong with giving them the tools they need to answer it?
Is it less helpful to give a link rather than an extensive cut & paste? Is it less helpful to tell them what page of their manual has the answer?

Gene, I have, in the past, copied asked questions and pasted them verbatim into Google and gotten the answer.
What is the reticence surrounding teaching people how to use a search engine, or at least reminding them that they exist?

Why is it preferential to ask a question on a forum and perhaps get an answer that may be right or wrong at some unknown time in the future or to put that same question to a search engine and have the correct answer instantly?
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #45
Site Supporter
GeneV's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Albuquerque NM
Photos: Albums
Posts: 9,775
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

When someone comes on (I'm not talking about the OP here, this is a generalization) and asks a question that proves they have in no way tried to help themselves, what is wrong with giving them the tools they need to answer it?
Is it less helpful to give a link rather than an extensive cut & paste? Is it less helpful to tell them what page of their manual has the answer?
Bill, that is basically what I was getting at by saying that not every suggestion that one read on the subject is the equivalent of telling someone "RTFM." Sometimes that is a helpful suggestion that teaches one to fish.

Again, not in this thread, and not this OP, but I remember another thread where someone did not even make the slightest attempt to read the manual for some very basic information, stating something to the effect that they did not have time. It is not a foregone conclusion that someone who is asking a question has in fact read the manual or that a suggestion that they do so is unhelpful.

Now, that being said, some of us do have a wit that, like that Scotch, can be an acquired taste. I happen to like peaty Scotch, though.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-20-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, firmware, light, pentax, pentax firmware, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone noticed Pentax quietly update K200D firmware from 1.01.00.05 to 1.01.00.06? arm_jstp Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 09-23-2010 12:28 PM
Why no firmware update from Metz for Pentax? quaker Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 4 11-09-2009 02:43 PM
Pentax K20D Firmware Update Nelepl Pentax News and Rumors 8 05-11-2009 04:36 PM
Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash Firmware Update For Pentax K10D stewart_photo Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 08-10-2007 07:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top