Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think the point is that the camera behaves inconsistently.

It says "complete" (consistent with README), but it ALSO continuously blinks a red light which is consistent with "Something is wrong/I am still busy".

11-19-2010, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Photos: Gallery
What is it about some forum users?

I've only been taking photographs since 1960 but still feel able to learn and will ask questions if I feel that there's knowledge out there I've missed. I'll think twice about doing it on this forum, however, when some of you clever sods are so bloody rude.

The original poster was - quite rightly, in my view - concerned that, having followed the instructions he was getting a message which hadn't been mentioned in them. Was he reassured, no. He was essentially- sarcastically - told to RTFM; something he had done. What an ignorant crew Pentax users are - or is it just a loud, self-opinionated few who would tar us all with the same brush?
11-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The instructions also state that if the camera powers down During the update, for Any reason, the camera will become unusable and a Charge will be levied to bring it back to life (even under warranty).

11-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I can't be sure, but I think the light doesn't flash until COMPLETE is displayed. Can someone confirm this?

My feeling is that Pentax intended the flashing light to be a distinguishable indicator that the process was complete, not the opposite.

11-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
the screen says "completed" but the red busy light is flashing away!!! What do i do?!
You are doing a firmware update.

So, you're interacting with the camera's native language which is Japanese.

I imagine a fast red blinking light in Japanese means, "hurry, you're waiting for no reason!". I deduce that from the fact that the "door close" button is the most heavily used button in a Japanese elevator. I've seen Japanese tourists being surprised by elevator doors closing all by themselves while still searching for a (non existing) close button They suffer while waiting for the doors to close.

Of course, the fast red blinking light is very convenient when updating thousands of cameras simultaneously.

Last edited by falconeye; 11-19-2010 at 11:41 AM.
11-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I understand not wanting to assume that the screen saying it is complete means it is safe to turn off the camera. The idea that the update is complete AND read/write activity with the card is occurring isn't far fetched.
11-19-2010, 04:04 PM   #22
Ira
Inactive Account

It's stupid engineering:

It shouldn't flash, even if successfully updated.

Have any of you ever worked with engineers? Or eaten lunch with one? In general, these aren't normal people. So I totally understand the OP's trepidation with this.

Hell, in the case of buying a brand-new K-5, why the hell should you have to perform a firmware update so soon after the camera's initial release anyway?

Stupid engineering, brought to you by engineers.

11-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hell, in the case of buying a brand-new K-5, why the hell should you have to perform a firmware update so soon after the camera's initial release anyway?
I would expect that one might not need to update the firmware of a new product only a couple of months after the initial release. And even this is more than some manufacturers of other products (thankfully) can manage. I wouldn't blame the software engineers, though; the root cause in my experience tends to be someone else setting the release dates (and allocating people and other resources).
11-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
I've only been taking photographs since 1960 but still feel able to learn and will ask questions if I feel that there's knowledge out there I've missed. I'll think twice about doing it on this forum, however, when some of you clever sods are so bloody rude.
This.
11-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The original poster was - quite rightly, in my view - concerned that, having followed the instructions he was getting a message which hadn't been mentioned in them. Was he reassured, no. He was essentially- sarcastically - told to RTFM; something he had done. What an ignorant crew Pentax users are - or is it just a loud, self-opinionated few who would tar us all with the same brush?
I second the motion. There is NEVER a reason to be insulting. A polite comment to the effect that "In the manual on page xx it says ..." gets the point across without being impolite, always assuming that it was mentioned in the manual. In the case of the Original Poster, he was legitimately concerned that the blinking light might indicate a problem with the firmware update. There was no need to be sarcastic with the user. I believe that this attitude is limited to a very small percentage of users on this forum. I, too, have been taking photographs for a very long time - that does not mean that I was up to speed with my K10d when I received it, so I asked questions.
11-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

It's true, the OP asked a legitimate question, I felt and maybe others felt at unease with the red blinking light too. And RTFM was no appropriate answer.

However, I don't think deadwolfbones wanted to insult or to be rude. He just had a bad moment and was impatient. Not very friendly indeed.

So maybe, we give him a break too. The call for friendlyness and correctness can be tiring too. The most easy way to live a forum is tolerance and assuming others mean it in a good way
11-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I second the motion. There is NEVER a reason to be insulting. A polite comment to the effect that "In the manual on page xx it says ..." gets the point across without being impolite, always assuming that it was mentioned in the manual. In the case of the Original Poster, he was legitimately concerned that the blinking light might indicate a problem with the firmware update. There was no need to be sarcastic with the user. I believe that this attitude is limited to a very small percentage of users on this forum. I, too, have been taking photographs for a very long time - that does not mean that I was up to speed with my K10d when I received it, so I asked questions.
Guilty as charged, yer honour.
I'll do some sort of penance.
I know, I'll drink my horrid Islay Scotch that smells like Dettol tonight.
11-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Guilty as charged, yer honour.
I'll do some sort of penance.
I know, I'll drink my horrid Islay Scotch that smells like Dettol tonight.
What's your address? I usually drink Pinch, but ...
11-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

You have never participated on any other board on the world wide web or read any comments from any news story since news and the internet joined forces? Please, dont take what I am saying as sarcastic, but you have to be kidding to think this is a "Pentax user" trait exclusively?

Jason
11-20-2010, 01:31 AM   #30
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Stupid engineering, brought to you by engineers.
Hey, I resent that! Next time, buy a camera not made by engineers!