Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I own the K200D, K100D & K20D and plan to purchase the K-5 in about 2-3 months, just as soon as I can get the money for it saved up.

I'd suggest, that if you can hold out for the next wave of K-5 for release in AUS, then don't buy a DSLR until it's out; the money you'll need for it will be easier to spend if you keep it saved.

If you're dead set on getting a stand-in DSLR then the K10D is a nice one to get. Like others have said, it is well built with alot of features. ON the other hand, a K20D or K-x would be a good second body to have on hand.

11-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #17

I love shooting with my K200d for its ergonomics and sensor when i can actually use iso 100. I miss the low light performance of my K-X big time though... Ive been seeing k200d bodies go for $350-400 used on ebay. Also someone posted a deal on K20d for $399 from camera store.
11-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
I would buy a k10d/k20d for low iso quality, or the KX for high iso / portability, and use it for a good year while the k-5's price normalizes. What I would likely buy is simply the cheapest body that you can find. These things are all throwaway, and the less you spend on your body, the better (unless we are talking about massages).
Good advice. Exactly what I was thinking.

However, another line of reasoning is:

QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
I'd suggest, that if you can hold out for the next wave of K-5 for release in AUS, then don't buy a DSLR until it's out; the money you'll need for it will be easier to spend if you keep it saved.
Last night I was over at my brother's house and he loaned me his old but trusty Pentax *ist D.

I haven't had a chance to play with it properly - but do you think I could be satisfied with this camera in the short term (after owning a K7)?
11-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I say K20.

11-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Last night I was over at my brother's house and he loaned me his old but trusty Pentax *ist D.

I haven't had a chance to play with it properly - but do you think I could be satisfied with this camera in the short term (after owning a K7)?
Why not? Esp. rewarding if you used it as a test of character and self-discipline.

As would any old shoebox with a pinhole in it...

.R.
11-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I woud agree with two earlier posts that a K10 would be a nice, cheap option and WR.

Food for thoughts
I'll join the K10 promoters club. I've been using one for just 3 years now, and I get excellent prints up to 24x36, provided I keep the ISO down. I guess that's why I bought that big tripod 20 odd years ago.
11-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A month of waiting....

Impatience versus a budget.

I vote: just be patient and use your P&S until the K-5 arrives. (spend your money on more important things in the meanwhile)

Jason

11-22-2010, 03:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K10 or a K20.
A used K10 can be had very cheap, and if it's to be used as a sceond body in the near future, it will serve you well in the meantime.
The low ISO of a K10 is superb, if you like shooting outdoors...in the daytime.
SR and WR.