Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
A doctor probably wouldn't recommend this, and I don't believe there is any studies to suggest that this really happens...but...

my significant other has had glasses for many years. Over the last few years though, she stopped her ritual of wearing contacts and her glasses were eaten by our dog and she never replaced them.

her eyes, according to her and her last doctor visit, have better numbers than from 5 years ago. She was also pregnant recently and she said they were even better then.

So...does not wearing glasses help you not depend on them? i don't know....i'm not in research.

11-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
A doctor probably wouldn't recommend this, and I don't believe there is any studies to suggest that this really happens...but...

my significant other has had glasses for many years. Over the last few years though, she stopped her ritual of wearing contacts and her glasses were eaten by our dog and she never replaced them.

her eyes, according to her and her last doctor visit, have better numbers than from 5 years ago. She was also pregnant recently and she said they were even better then.

So...does not wearing glasses help you not depend on them? i don't know....i'm not in research.
Myopia and presbyopia can cancel each other out at a certain age. Very common, but usually not as early as you describe. Unless it's a very late pregnancy...
11-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
I definitely believe this. I had a doctor 25 years ago who told me I should wear my glasses for reading, when I didn't need them for this at all---only distance. I followed this advice for about 3 months, and realized the guy was a total idiot:

I'm 53 now and can still read microscopic type (2 to 4 point!) with no problem at ALL without my glasses and without fully extending my arms--and my distance vision hasn't worsened much for ignoring his advice.

It's also proven that pregnant women experience improved vision, so they can better see over their bellies and don't trip and fall.
11-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the quick-wit Ira, I needed the chuckle today.

Myself, i'm chronically near sighted, but have damaged corneas so I cannot use contact lenses at all. So i'm forced to wear glasses when using my cameras. My hat covers over the front of the camera so at least I do not get errant light in the view finder.

EDIT: I do use remotes - wired and wireless, SO I can get the focus set to where I want it, then use the remote to take the picture. This of course makes taking action shots (sports, wildlife, kids, and much more) so difficult to be almost impossible.

11-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alunfoto Quote
Myopia and presbyopia can cancel each other out at a certain age.
Unfortunately, they don't. Unless you are talking of special cases which I'm not aware of.

Myopia is caused by the eyball being too long (or other physical factors leading to incorrect "registration distance" ). Age-related presbyopia is caused by a loss of "accomodation" due to decreased elastictiy of the crystalline lens surface. The combined effect is that you just have a small band of sharp vision. No cancellation, unfortunately.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It's also proven that pregnant women experience improved vision, so they can better see over their bellies and don't trip and fall.
11-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
27 years old, and i cannot read the top letter of an eye chart without my glasses on. This presents a problem when taking photos since if i take my glasses off EVERYTHING but the bar in the bottom of the viewfinder is blurry. I thought a magnified eyepiece would be the answer, but now i'm reading that its actually WORSE for glasses wearers.

Is there ANYTHING out there that makes shooting photos with a Myopia easier?
I am wearing Bausch & Lomb Purevision Multi Focal soft contacts. Only really fine print needs reading glasses as well. The PureVision series are high oxygen transfer lenses. They are a pain to put in because they are so thin, but it can be done. I was finally diagnosed with congential myopia at the age of 12 when I could not read the blackboard from the front row of the school room. I feel your pain!

Another option is to fit the viewfinder with an additional diopter lens. I believe the M series diopters fit the current viewfinders, but would check first.
11-19-2010, 08:37 PM   #22

Original Poster
Since the subject has changed a bit, i will add something my optometrist told me.

"Your eyes are like a muscle, the more you use them the better they will get. If you spend 5-10 minutes a day trying to focus on far objects your eyesight will improve slightly."

He then went on to tell me that i will still need glasses, but my eyes may improve enough that he could lessen my perscription

11-19-2010, 09:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Since the subject has changed a bit, i will add something my optometrist told me.
He then went on to tell me that i will still need glasses, but my eyes may improve enough that he could lessen my perscription
Just like the auto peddler will always tell you your car needs updating... as will the doctor tell you to keep coming back for checkups, even though you paid him huge sums of hard-earned money to fix your illness...

.R.
11-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Your eyes are like a muscle, the more you use them the better they will get. If you spend 5-10 minutes a day trying to focus on far objects your eyesight will improve slightly."

The reason I did not get prescription eye ware until I was 12 was because we had an optometrist who prescribed exercises to fix my eyesight - a baseball swinging on a string. Unfortunately, my eyes remained too far from front to back.
11-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Just like the auto peddler will always tell you your car needs updating... as will the doctor tell you to keep coming back for checkups, even though you paid him huge sums of hard-earned money to fix your illness...

.R.
Well, not exactly. From what he said i assumed he was telling me that unless the lenses get scratched or break i would never have to get a stronger perscription lenses, just replace the frame once it gets worn, as long as i do the exercises.
11-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I am fairly short-sighted and have always worn my glasses for photography withoout any problems. I also almost always use the viewfinder. I do look over my glasses if I have to use the LCD on the back, for focusing or to preview the image.
11-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, not exactly. From what he said i assumed he was telling me that unless the lenses get scratched or break i would never have to get a stronger perscription lenses, just replace the frame once it gets worn, as long as i do the exercises.
Yep, and I'm sure he'd be confident to know that it worked too.

Soft sell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

.R.