Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #1

I Curse my bad eyes!!!!

27 years old, and i cannot read the top letter of an eye chart without my glasses on. This presents a problem when taking photos since if i take my glasses off EVERYTHING but the bar in the bottom of the viewfinder is blurry. I thought a magnified eyepiece would be the answer, but now i'm reading that its actually WORSE for glasses wearers.

Is there ANYTHING out there that makes shooting photos with a Myopia easier?

11-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I can't offer a lot of encouragement as I have the same problem. I HAVE to keep my glasses on, even though it is a pain to see through the viewfinder. No other way. I have come to depend rather heavily on autofocus, more's the pity.
11-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
I can't offer a lot of encouragement as I have the same problem. I HAVE to keep my glasses on, even though it is a pain to see through the viewfinder. No other way. I have come to depend rather heavily on autofocus, more's the pity.
I only have 1 lens that has autofocus Two if you count the macro that i only use with Extension tubes, hence manual focus.

4 other good lenses that are manual focus only
11-18-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Silverkarn Quote
27 years old, and i cannot read the top letter of an eye chart without my glasses on. This presents a problem when taking photos since if i take my glasses off EVERYTHING but the bar in the bottom of the viewfinder is blurry. I thought a magnified eyepiece would be the answer, but now i'm reading that its actually WORSE for glasses wearers.

1. Liveview or tethering is all that really comes to mind.
2. Is contact lenses an option for your condition?
3. Inbuilt diopter adjusters only have small range and mostly one-way as you'd know.

Sorry. Hope someone can come up with a more practical suggestion for you.

The photographic world doesn't want to accommodate for the visually impaired therefore mfgrs have no pressure on them in design considerations for other that aesthetics and populist-convenience basically.

Fwiw: Control layout designs also present limitations for left-eye preference viewers like me.
And I also find it disgraceful that all DSLRs are so right-handed.

.R.

11-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi,
Everything close up is a blur here too without my glasses. I have found though that the magnifying eye cup works fairly well. It protrudes a bit from the viewfinder, which keeps my glasses from scratching the rear LCD. Most of the time I find myself shifting my glasses downward and just using the magnified viewfinder. The distance between the eye cup and the camera back accomodates it nicely without my having to remove my glasses altogether. Now if only shake reduction was enough to overcome the family hand tremor lol
11-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I am 27 too and have myopia since 10
contact lenses DO help
11-19-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Pentax has dioptres as an accessory. You can buy them in the strength you need them (unless your myopia is outside the supported range).

Last edited by Class A; 11-19-2010 at 12:28 AM.
11-19-2010, 12:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Pentax has dioptres as an accessory. You can buy them in the strenght you need them.
How do i figure out what strength i need? As i said my eyesight is bad, i cannot read a book unless its 6 inches or less than my face without my glasses.

On the other hand, without my glasses i can read all of the states that are printed on the back of the 5 dollar bill.
11-19-2010, 02:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

How do i figure out what strength i need?
First of all, you're welcome.

Second, I understand that the strength of your glasses is specified in dioptres. So the combination of the variable dioptre in your camera plus the accessory should match at least the strength of your glasses. Then you'll be able to see the viewfinder clearly without glasses.

It probably wouldn't be the right thing for me since I'd probably find it a big hassle to get the glasses on and off all the time.
11-19-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd probably find it a big hassle to get the glasses on and off all the time.
It really is, but I hate trying to look through the viewfinder with my glasses.

Maybe I should try it for a full day and see if I can get into the habit,
11-19-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stanic Quote
I am 27 too and have myopia since 10
contact lenses DO help
Concurred!

My eyes are developing presbyopia to follow hyperopia, but the result as far as cameras go is the same.

My optician warned me it was not common to start with contact lenses at age >40, but last July I decided I wanted to have a go anyway. It has taken some persistence to find a brand and model of contact lenses that my eyes are comfortable with. Three months of trying different lenses for a week at a time.

But it was worth every itch.
11-19-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look into Lasik surgery. My brother had it done a year ago and is terribly pleased with it -- says that he wished he had had it done a long time before that.
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I try to wear contacts when using the camera.

If you don't want to wear contacts, your eye care professional can tell you your prescription so that you can buy an appropriate diopter.
11-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Just wait...

If you think wearing glasses is a pain....wait till you have to have bifocals!
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
If you think wearing glasses is a pain....wait till you have to have bifocals!
Ha, I use 2 different prescriptions of bifocals, does that count as quadfocals?
(plus a pair of single lens specs at PC monitor focal length)

Wish they would hurry up and design auto-Zoom lens glasses with inbuilt AF assist!
(not slow SDM, please...)

.R.