Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K7 microfocus change not registered always

I encountered this crazy thing while working on another post of mine, but thought it'd be better to highlight it in a separate post. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1269779 Also, because this is not something that you'd notice easily as we don't do a microfocus adjustment often. Here goes:

Here a horror that I discovered about the K7 (at least mine) while I was really trying hard to get something else going with a lens BF FF problem. My K7 is running v1.10. I noticed that no matter how much microfocus adjustment I applied, it did not seem to matter, as if the cam had decided beforehand what to do. For some reason today, I swiched OFF and back ON everytime that I changed the microfocus adj. And OMG, the change is now reflected even if there is a 1 notch change!!!!

Here's what I did:
1. No microfocus adjustment change is registered by K7 when you get to the menu and change it, hit the "OK" button and immediately start shooting (I have a habit of half-pressing the shutter-focus button to spring the K7 system back into action for shooting). That is, without getting back using the "Menu" button. But, after hitting "OK", the damn thing confirms with a "SAVED" on the display. I believed it all these days!! What a waste of time!
2. microfocus adj. change is properly registered by K7 if you switch it OFF and back ON after the change. I don't know if it even does that if you "gracefully" come out of all the menu options to the status screen by hitting the "MENU" button repeatedly after it said "SAVED".

I swear, this is a real let down of all that precious night-time I spent without sleeping trying to test a lens. I really want to check if anybody else has noticed this. Is it a v1.10 bug, or is it just my cam. I strongly think it must be a bug.

Cheers,
Anil

11-19-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The manual states that you have to press menu I think that that will actually force the camera to re-read settings from non-volatile memory

'saved' only implies that it is stored in non-volatile memory, not that the new data is used

I would not call it a bug, but I can imagine the annoyance; on the other hand, be glad that you don't have a K-5 where you have to press menu three times to get back to capture mode.
11-19-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Damn, a bust!

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The manual states that you have to press menu I think that that will actually force the camera to re-read settings from non-volatile memory

'saved' only implies that it is stored in non-volatile memory, not that the new data is used

I would not call it a bug, but I can imagine the annoyance; on the other hand, be glad that you don't have a K-5 where you have to press menu three times to get back to capture mode.
I am not glad I do not have a K5
I am not the "go-by-the-manual" kind of guy. But it does cost me dearly, sometimes.
11-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm curious if going back via menu indeed solves the issue.