Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #1

k-x, M Lens & Flash ...

Is there a way to use M-50/1.4 with the pop-up flash on a pentax dslr?

i have searched the thread and havent found anything so far.

11-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What problem are you running into? My M-50 1.7 works just fine with my Kx pop-up flash. I shoot in manual mode.
11-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

I would like to know this as well. Atleast in my experience, using my m42 lenses in Manual mode, the flash always goes off at full power. It takes a bunch of test shots to dial in the flash power... is this normal?
11-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hemi345 Quote
using my m42 lenses in Manual mode, the flash always goes off at full power.
That's p-TTL at work. For manual lens, the flash always fires at full power.

This is normal. You'll have to control the ISO setting and the lens's aperture to get proper exposure.

The symptom is the same with an external flash in p-TTL mode. This is a reason why you want to get a flash with auto mode (using the flash's light sensor). In fact, I'd rather have a flash with auto mode than a flash with p-TTL but no auto.

11-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
That's p-TTL at work. For manual lens, the flash always fires at full power.

This is normal. You'll have to control the ISO setting and the lens's aperture to get proper exposure.

The symptom is the same with an external flash in p-TTL mode. This is a reason why you want to get a flash with auto mode (using the flash's light sensor). In fact, I'd rather have a flash with auto mode than a flash with p-TTL but no auto.
Exactly. And I'd also add that some of those auto-flashes can be very cheap ($10-20; make sure it's one with a safe trigger voltage). I use a Sunpak auto 266D, which works great (with it you get 2 power setting choices in auto mode).
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
What problem are you running into? My M-50 1.7 works just fine with my Kx pop-up flash. I shoot in manual mode.
my pictures always turn out white. no matter what i do. :/
11-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
1) You have to use M mode in this situation, and when you pop up the flash, the maximum shutter speed you can select is 180. If you can select something faster than this, something is wrong. It shouldn't LET you select faster than 180. And just leave it at 180.

2) If you're using auto ISO, don't. With the limited range of the onboard flash, at first, just play around with the ISO fixed at 400. This will cover subjects up to about 10 feet (3 meters)--kind of.

3) Set your aperture at F8, take a picture, and do your best to review your exposure on the LCD. If it's totally blown out white (but I doubt it), go to F11. Or ISO 200. If it's too dark, go to 5.6.

Basically, if you first spend 10 minutes in an indoor environment--where lighting conditions don't usually change--fixed ISO, fixed 180 shutter, and fixed aperture guarantee you perfect shots every time.

It sounds like you're using some auto function that you shouldn't.
11-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Try M-mode, ISO=100, t=1/180s, f=8 (subject distance ~ 2m).

The guide number is supposed to be 16 so with ISO=100, t=1/180s just divide that with the object distance in meters to get an aperture setting (to start with).

Adjusting the shutter time has little effect when flash provides most of the light as the flash burst is of a very short duration anyway, 1/180s is the shortest time that works because of shutter properties though. Given this, you'll want to adjust the aperture (and ISO) for correct exposure.

11-19-2010, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

The guide number is supposed to be 16 so with ISO=100, t=1/180s just divide that with the object distance in meters to get an aperture setting (to start with).

Adjusting the shutter time has little effect when flash provides most of the light as the flash burst is of a very short duration anyway, 1/180s is the shortest time that works because of shutter properties though. Given this, you'll want to adjust the aperture (and ISO) for correct exposure.
Just chiming in:

Your slowest available ISO on the K-x might now be 200. You have to first turn Highlight Correction off, and engage Expanded Sensitivity in the ISO submenu.

You can't turn Expanded Sensitivity on unless Highlight Correction is off, although you can leave Shadow Correction, if you want.
11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Just chiming in:
Your slowest available ISO on the K-x might now be 200. You have to first turn Highlight Correction off, and engage Expanded Sensitivity in the ISO submenu.
Indeed. I totally forgot about that. So to fix my suggestion: ISO=200, t=1/180s, f=11.
11-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
Sounds like your pictures are being over exposed.

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

Good starting point. Just put the camera in Manual mode, start with the settings stated above and tweak the Aperture as needed. I like to leave my ISO at 100 (when possible) when the pop-up flash in needed and only adjust my aperture.
11-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #12

Original Poster
that is awesome .. finally i am able to get some pictures from the onboard light.

thanks for the information everybody.