Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #16
JMI

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
That's what I've started doing, telling the camera what it should be doing and letting the flash sort itself. Thankyou for your reply it's of great help!

I checked out your site. What a great site! Man I wish I could do website work like that. I just get so frustrated with all the coding and stuff.

I was looking at your car photos, I'm a huge car guy myself. I noticed one thing that a pro magazine photographer noticed in my photos a while ago. He called it the 3 wheel look. He said that when he started shooting for magazines, they would reject almost any photo from a low angle that didn't show all 4 wheels defined. I started doing it and I notice that nonphotographers seem to pick the photos with all 4 wheels showing. Here's a couple of examples. The first two were taken with Nikons , the last one was taken with my trusty istd. In the last one I put a little led flash light on the ground to define the under side of the car some and while you can't clearly see the rear wheel, the magazine that I shot it for liked it because the light kept it from looking like a 3 wheel car.

09-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a friend who runs a web design and hosting business so I buy him a carton of beer every 12 months and he helps me with site design and free hosting.

The DOF in the highway shot of the Lexus is fantastic, as is the colour and lens flare in the last shot.

Thankyou very much for the pointers on the car photography, I will definately take that on board. It is funny you mention it though, I recently lowered my girlfriends car and on th eway to her place stopped in a car park, fired off a quick shot for her to use as a wallpaper on her PC, jumped in the car and kept going. Maximum of 3 minutes for stopping, unpacking camera, composition and packing up and driving away. Well she loves the shot, but I posted it on a few forums and people are going nuts saying they love the shot! I couldn't understand why, perhaps that's it.

If I wasn't already running late I would have moved the car so there wasn't a tree growing out of the roof, but luckily it doesn't detract too much. (That is one rule I did know, watch for poles, trees etc. growing out of the car, hahaha).

Last edited by blwnhr; 09-24-2007 at 05:31 PM.
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by JMI Quote
Thanks very much!

I think the reason I've never had trouble getting good flash photos is that I came from the days of vivitar 285's and manual film camera's. Flash is really easy though. I always want the camera/flash to do as little work/metering as possible. So I set the ISO (usually 200/400ish) Manual mode on the body. Just start with a 5.6 - 1/30th combo and start shooting. When I am shooting flash, the ONLY thing I let the camera do is adjust the flash power. That's how I've always done it.

Check out Strobist. That blog is filled with tons of information about manual flash techniques, but I think it helps learn ttl flash better, once you understand light a little better.
WHOA how do you acheive such sharp appearing pictures (unless they are not, but the resize makes it appear as such!) with 1/15 to 2 SECOND exposures? Even SR is absolutely useless for me in that situation (i'm using K100D). The only thing I can think of is that it was so dark, and the flash just provided 95% of the exposure on the people...let us know
09-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #19
JMI

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magomago Quote
The only thing I can think of is that it was so dark, and the flash just provided 95% of the exposure on the people...let us know

You got it!