Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma EF-530 DG Super questions

I just received Sigma EF-530 DG Super for my K20d. I have couple of questions. When in low-light setting using PTTL mode, the iso is set at least 1600 by camera. Is that a bad thing in term of noise level? The pictures came up fine btw. I just concerned about the high iso. If I set the camera to SV mode to control the iso below 800, will the Flash adjust the setting according in TTL mode? Which brand of diffuser or bouncer with with this flash? Any good references on using the flash as the user guide is not easy to understand?

11-20-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If the flash is set to P-TTL, the camera will set the lighting output to whatever is needed. When working with flash, it is often better to work with the camera mode dial set to "X" or "M", and set the ISO to whatever you want. The lower the ISO, the better in term of noise. If you set the camera to "X", then you just set the aperture you want to control the depth of field, and the camera will handle everything else. When you set the camera to "M" (manual), you can control how the background appears in term of brightness. It can also be used to record movement in the background, while the subject looks (almost) sharp and properly exposed.
11-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A diffuser compatible with the Pentax AF500FTZ/Canon380Ex/Nikon SB26 fits in the Sigma EF-530; as for guides or tutorials, this definitely worth a reading:

Digital SLR and P-TTL flash guide

Also you can watch the AF560FGZ Hot Shoe Flash Tutorial from Pentax Imaging; it's a tutorial on the Pentax flash wireless capabilities but it may help to understand how to set up the Sigma as well. Look for the watch demo link below the flash description.

AF540FGZ - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Another question

When I turn the flash face up or down, I can hear something is loose inside. is that normal?

11-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoyquest Quote
When I turn the flash face up or down, I can hear something is loose inside. is that normal?
Yes. I can hear some noise with mine; I think it's the built-in wide panel that has some slack space to move around.
11-21-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoyquest Quote
Nop. I have 2, not a single noise.