Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bucking the trend

Hi photolady,

I'm going to buck the trend here and say that I very much miss the upper lcd. It is very nice to get all that info with just a downward glance. I've owned the ist *DS, the K10D and the K20D. All of those cameras have taught me to rely on the top LCD. Now with my K-x I find myseld looking for it a gazillion times a day. It's nice to know what you camera is set at and how many shots I have left.
Don't get me wrong. The K-x is an excellent camera, I was amazed at it's high ISO performance, fast AF and all the other stuff. The lack of the top LCD was not a deal breaker but I do miss it.

NaCl(I miss it but not enough to sell the camera)H2O

11-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #17
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

No, not really much to miss - everything you need to know is now displayed at all times on the back LCD, so it's just a matter of turning the camera face down so you can see the settings.

I went from a K10D to a K-x as a backup (I still have the K10D, but am in the process of selling it) and have quickly overlooked the perceived 'need' for that top LCD. Whilst it's handy knowing the settings just looking at that display, it's just as easy to handle the camera and look at the back display.

If you can get a K-x for <$400, you've got yourself a fantastic deal.
11-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input NaClH20.

I haven't decided yet if I want to sell my K100D or keep it. I had a bit of luck this afternoon in getting more funds to put toward that new camera.

The one I was looking at sold before I could get the funds together. But there is another for under $400. I still won't have enough monies until after the first of January and am hoping prices come down more since the two newest cameras are on the market.

I saw another question about the this camera and wondered how much smaller the viewfinder is compared to mine?
11-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote

I still won't have enough monies until after the first of January and am hoping prices come down more since the two newest cameras are on the market.

I saw another question about the this camera and wondered how much smaller the viewfinder is compared to mine?
1. I think you might be able to safely conclude that there could be a small but steady stream of used K-x seeping onto the market come early 2011, as well as the diminishing availability of new ones. Price pressures on both K-r (and K-5 to entice upgraders) will permit K-r to soon subsume the former's market position as the bottom end Pentax DSLR of choice there. That's only destiny.

2. Note: I don't own or have hands-on experience with a K100D to compare (only K-x here), however consulting my little birdies (both G-search and each camera's manual) tells me the following tech specs:

K100D: Field of view 96%, 0.85 magnification. (with 50mm/1.4 lens at infinity)
K-x : Field of view 96%, 0.85 magnification. (with 50mm/1.4 lens at infinity)

IOW; ho-hum and deja vu; but at least you wouldn't be losing in the upgrade.

I'd be first to agree that these small items are always important to consider though, esp for peeps like me with not the best performing lenses fitted horizontally below our foreheads.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-27-2010 at 08:32 AM.
11-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One related consideration is that the k-x display works fairly well when viewed from an angle (unlike some (older) LCD displays).
11-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks jolepp that's useful information.

Now my camera buying is being put on the back burner because I have another major purchase to make before I can think about buying the K-X.
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by isd88 Quote
wow!! i also made some strange arrangments for my unsealed bodys (like my olf canon 30d or my soni alpha 330)! So if you think $400 is a good price for a kx (brand new?? used one?) buy it immediatly! i think i've never seen a better camera body. Has a lot of functions that make your life easier like automatic CA , vignetting and distortion correction, very fast continuous shooting (4,7 fps) , it is not bigger and hevier than your k100d and works very well also at 6400 iso.

here you can find some pictures taken with my Pentax Kx

...ed equilibrata la mia mogliettina! di Alce - isd88, su Flickr
Wow very nice pic. Can you tell me did you shot in raw or jpeg? Which custom image settings or this is just post processing? And blow out that two dust spots
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well then, putting off camera buying for some time may give you the opportunity to save up for a K-7 (or even K-5) and then you won't have to worry about losing the top LCD anymore!