Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 corrupting RAW files

I use Windows 7 + UFraw to process my RAW/PEF files from my K100D Super and now K-7.

I've shot some 20,000 RAW with my K100D, not a single corrupted file.

I have only shot about 350 RAW with my K-7 and I have 25 corrupted files.

Its probably not my memory cards because I get random corrupted RAW on both 4GB Transcend SDHC Class 10 cards. I bought them in May '10, they've only seen about 4,000 photos apiece.

Error message in UFraw, Photoshop CS5, and Bridge- The photo IMGP0001.PEF is not a regconized file type. K-7 error- this image cannot be displayed.

I can't shoot models, flowers/macro, or action when the best shot has potential to be lost because of a corrupted file.

Settings- Program Automatic, drive mode is continuous shoot Hi, 0+/- EV, 100 ISO, AF is Auto, I shoot optically, and RAW. Lens used Pentax 50-200mm WR

If there is a way to prevent corrupted RAW on the K-7 in the future, please let me know.

For analysis, I have uploaded a few of my corrupted PEFs to Mediafire.

IMGP6984.PEF

IMGP0298 (9).PEF

IMGP0298 (48).PEF

11-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
and still I would recommend to buy one SanDisc card to see if it is just not a thing between your K-7 and Transcent.

The other possability is that you interrupt your still working camera with fundeling all knobs.
11-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Agree - try the simple stuff first.

Try a brand-new Sandisk card. I've never had trouble with Sandisk, but all sorts of trouble with other brands. Sandisk cards are also amongst the brands officially supported and tested on the K-7, as the manual shows.

Then make sure the problem is not with your external card reader or laptop card reader etc. Transfer the files to your PC directly from the camera using a USB cable and see if the corruption persists to identify whether the issue is your card reader(s).

I presume you are using the latest versions of ufraw and bridge?

And why do your K-7 PEF files have such weird file names - like IMGP0298_(9).PEF? On some systems that could be read as an invalid file name.

EDIT: having looked at two of your PEF files, I can use EXIFTOOL to read the file EXIF OK. But EXIFTOOL reports that the first 4 bytes of the file are messed up: 'Skipped unknown 4 byte header'. You could probably recover those files if you used a hex editor to put in some valid data there. It maybe that out of the 12MB file, only 4 bytes are corrupt, and they are the ones (probably) that tell whatever is trying to read the file that this is a PEF file.

Also this illustrates one of the advantages of shooting RAW+ - at least you will always have a JPG as well.

Last edited by rawr; 11-21-2010 at 02:55 PM.
11-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

MAybe it's stating the bleeding obvious, but are you formatting the memory cards each time in the K-7? Or in the computer? Or not since your K100D?

11-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Banned

Photos: Albums
Make sure you have the latest firmware as well.
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Re: all of the above

Hopefully this answers everyone's questions/clarifications...

Will try a Sandisk card and see what happens. Sandisk Class 10 cards are pricey :P but I will say my Transcend cards never gave me any problem on the K100

@rawr- The files are being corrupted as they are written to the card- On my K-7 this error shows on a corrupted file- This image cannot be displayed.

I have formatted both cards in the K-7 to wipe out the K100 data... but that's the only format to-date.

Also, UFraw latest version on Windows, Bridge/Photoshop CS5 on my Mac.

The weird filename was an accident because I reset my file count when switching between cards, so when I moved all the images into one folder, I got errors on photos because of duplicate filenames.

Will check on firmware, Thanks!
-C
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
I have formatted both cards in the K-7 to wipe out the K100 data... but that's the only format to-date.
OK, I think that step will fix the problem.

"Best practice" is to alway format the card in the camera. Never format a card on the computer, don't let the computer delete the images after importing. To clear a card always do so with an in camera format (not a delete).