Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Or maybe not. Were you wearing polarizing spectacles when you viewed the pic?

.R.
geez, can't a person make a mistake now and then

Last edited by Pentax Lover; 11-23-2010 at 08:05 PM.
11-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If you are asking Me...

These were done with the Wireless Remote F. The camera is set so that one press opens the shutter, the second closes it. The 78 min exposure was done with the camera on a tripod arm stuck out the window shown in the second photo.

Like this only the camera was outside and pointed up..

and yes, the camera was very secure with straps tying the camera inside in case something stupid happened.

hey Jeff, Nice Setup
11-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What a setup. :-)
Question: Why reflecting off the mirror rather than just facing the camera at the subject?
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
What a setup. :-)
Question: Why reflecting off the mirror rather than just facing the camera at the subject?
We're about to go way off topic here. The reason is for scale and perspective. The idea is to get a photo as if I were an HO scale person (not to be mistaken for the urban vernacular for a loose woman) standing on the tracks taking the photo. An average sized person in HO scale would be roughly 1 inch tall. The mirror allows me to lower the perspective of the viewing angle down to that level. Of course everything is backwards and upside down so things have to be flipped around in post processing.

It didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped. A wider lens is really better for this but the photo was for the Single In November game so I used the 85mm. This is the resulting photo from that shoot.

The perspective of the photo is still a little high. Here are a couple that worked out a little better.

Even though the image is entirely a reflection, this one was rejected from the September (or October?) reflections challenge..

You will notice in all three of these photos, you are not looking Down on Top of the trains. In the case of the third one, the bridge actually angles toward a wall so to get this shot would be impossible with anything But a mirror.

There are also the down in the ditch or from a distance shots that don't necessarily need the mirror because I'm not from a perspective of standing On the tracks.

The mirror can also be used for other types of shots as well..

Here's one from the following night with the camera and tripod actually Under the table pointing down at the mirror (the reason I would Love an articulated screen on the camera).

In a nutshell (emphasis on the Nut), that's the reason(s)..

11-24-2010, 03:16 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very cool. I wasn't thinking about needing to get the lens truly at ground level. Without the table being shorter or having room to bring the camera down off the edge of the table, that's about all that is going to work. "Ya learn something new every day". :-)
Thanks.
11-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey guys, we're getting off the topic of the Bulb Model. Please let's get back on topic, thanks.
11-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote
Hey guys, we're getting off the topic of the Bulb Model. Please let's get back on topic, thanks.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, some of those photos Were taken in Bulb mode and with a remote no less

11-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well, if it makes you feel any better, some of those photos Were taken in Bulb mode and with a remote no less

Well, I always appreciate honesty, thanks Jeff