Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Has anyone tried the Bulb Mode on K-5

Has anyone tried the Bulb Mode on K-5, and has the double Exposure time been fixed from K-7?
I know there were some of you complaining about having to double exposure to get the Bulb Mode to work. I am asking because of wanting to get K-5, which is why I past up K-7 to get K-5 instead.
I like having Bulb Mode for Long Exposures of the Moon and such at Night, so I was just wondering, and if it ain't fixed, i'm still getting K-5 regardless!
Make me or make me it doesn't matter, what matters is that at one time I wanted the Canon 7D but heard various problems about it, then heard about Nikon D7000, and have been turned off by the Dead Pixel problems and no Pixel Mapping, and then the K-5 which has all those features and more, and some of those the D7000 doesn't have. BIG TURN OFF in my book, that is, if you understtod where I stood in my Learning Photography more then 20 years ago, lol!

11-21-2010, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote

I like having Bulb Mode for Long Exposures of the Moon and such at Night, so I was just wondering, and if it ain't fixed, i'm still getting K-5 regardless!
Apparently DFS can be (optionally) disabled in Bulb mode in K-5.

Weeks ago there was much discussion and some astro work examples done on here with the new model. You might want to look that up in the dedicated K-5 group.

QuoteQuote:
Make me or make me it doesn't matter, what matters is that at one time I wanted the Canon 7D but heard various problems about it, then heard about Nikon D7000, and have been turned off by the Dead Pixel problems and no Pixel Mapping, and then the K-5 which has all those features and more, and some of those the D7000 doesn't have. BIG TURN OFF in my book, that is, if you understtod where I stood in my Learning Photography more then 20 years ago, lol!
Not easy is it? I'm waiting for the perfect crop DSL/R to be made too.

Is good to hear that you're satisfied K-5 will do the deed for you. And it's even edged down a fraction in price at some outlets also.

.R.
11-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Hypocorism
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello Hypocorism, None of us will ever find a PERFECT Digital Camera that is free of Problems.
Me though, I am particular about what features I want and don't want, and that is because the amount of time (20+ years) learning the ins and outs of Photography, Film Developing, ISO Speeds, so on, and so on.
My advice, (this is what I did) Write down the things or features you want most or need, find a Camera(s) that fills that as much as possible, and you will be a happy camper, glad to help if you enjoyed this, and this goes for anybody else.
I put down the things I enjoyed doing FIRST, then then other features I wanted, AEB Bracketing,
Multiple Exposure, FPS that would work in conjuction with the things I enjoyed doing, example, I like Car Racing, or Dirt Track Racing, and in this Case, the camera for MUST BE Dust/Weather Proof, Those are just some of the Reason's I choose the K-5, cause it's most everything I want.
Kenneth

11-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums

78 minutes. DFS Off.

4 minutes

11-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

78 minutes. DFS Off.

4 minutes

I see six different Dead Pixels in that 2nd Photo or is that noize?
11-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I see six different Dead Pixels in that 2nd Photo or is that noize?
Your eyes are a lot better than mine are then. Where in this medium resolution photo do you see Dead Pixels ?

11-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Your eyes are a lot better than mine are then. Where in this medium resolution photo do you see Dead Pixels ?

a Blue one Top center and then one one to far top right and the rest closer to center
11-22-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You're not talking about the star trails are you? At four minutes those are the stars leaving trails of light.

If this was taken with RAW, converters do a superb job at removing dead or hot pixels.
Shrunken down to this small JPEG, youre not likely to see them anyway.
11-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I was wondering that too but I'm not going to fight with the guy about it. He asked a question, I answered it. There are dust specs in the photo (cloned them out of the first one) but no dead pixels.

... and yes, shot RAW (DNG) as are all of my photos. Processed in CS4.

11-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here is a 17min exposure at iso 80, no noise visible in the rawfile. DFS off

11-23-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thouse are star trails for sure. Great shots. I want to try some long exposures with my new K5. What are you using for remote to hold open the shutter? If you don't mind me asking.
11-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was wondering that too but I'm not going to fight with the guy about it. He asked a question, I answered it. There are dust specs in the photo (cloned them out of the first one) but no dead pixels.

... and yes, shot RAW (DNG) as are all of my photos. Processed in CS4.

well. i could be mistaken, and it might be dust, and i am not out to argue either, I guess my mistake, sorry
11-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

well. i could be mistaken, and it might be dust, and i am not out to argue either, I guess my mistake, sorry
Or maybe not. Were you wearing polarizing spectacles when you viewed the pic?

.R.
11-23-2010, 04:30 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Thouse are star trails for sure. Great shots. I want to try some long exposures with my new K5. What are you using for remote to hold open the shutter? If you don't mind me asking.
If you are asking Me...

These were done with the Wireless Remote F. The camera is set so that one press opens the shutter, the second closes it. The 78 min exposure was done with the camera on a tripod arm stuck out the window shown in the second photo.

Like this only the camera was outside and pointed up..

and yes, the camera was very secure with straps tying the camera inside in case something stupid happened.