Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SR Facepalm

So I was touting pentax to a friend of mine who's looking into buying a dslr. One of the points I made was the in-camera SR. We were having this conversation online, and as such I got distracted and decided to play around with my k-x which was lieing next to me. For some reason, the SR did not seem to work - my shots with it on/off had more or less equal rates of blurred images.

Long story short, I only just learned, after 4 months with my k-x, that I'm supposed to wait for the green hand for the SR to work. But wow, pentax SR is great!

/goes back to touting pentax to friend (though not before facepalming myself).

11-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Long story short, I only just learned, after 4 months with my k-x, that I'm supposed to wait for the green hand for the SR to work.
Yup- otherwise the sensor is still going to be locked up and not centered.

And yes, it sure is effective.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
So I was touting pentax to a friend of mine who's looking into buying a dslr. One of the points I made was the in-camera SR. We were having this conversation online, and as such I got distracted and decided to play around with my k-x which was lieing next to me. For some reason, the SR did not seem to work - my shots with it on/off had more or less equal rates of blurred images.

Long story short, I only just learned, after 4 months with my k-x, that I'm supposed to wait for the green hand for the SR to work. But wow, pentax SR is great!

/goes back to touting pentax to friend (though not before facepalming myself).
What you told you friend wasn't too far off because on factory default settings my K-x will not let the shutter complete activation anyway until it's fully satisfied. That appears to mean AS, as well as AF in practice.

It had me annoyed when I first got it and actually thought it was faulty (until deciding to RTFM as last resort).

.R.
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Inactive Account

The time for the SR to activate has been improved with the K5. I just upgraded from the K10D and it is significantly faster. I also didn't understand for my first few months with the K10D that I needed to wait for the hand to show up. I think on the K5 it activates fast enough that a user who doesn't realize they need to wait, would still get the benefit of SR on most of their shots. SR is now usually ready by the time you have focus lock.