Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Forum Member

Upgrading from a K110D

Hi all,

I'm currently shooting with a K110D that was my husband's before I met him. I'm thinking about asking for an upgrade for Christmas but am not sure if it would really be worth it.

Right now my usual subject is our 7 month old, indoors and out. I do take some landscape and other photography but mostly it's about capturing life.

The budget isn't there for a K5 right now, so it would likely be a K7 body or maybe a K-r or K-x kit. (hubby really likes the red one) I'm not opposed to used, either.

My question is - is it worth the upgrade to something else? Am I going to notice a large difference in the quality of my images? The K110D is only a 6MP camera, but I'm not advanced enough yet to be overly annoyed by the lack of extra features. Should I hold off, switch now?

11-22-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that you have a difficult choice, and your final choice might be linked with your budget.

I would recommend possibly 3 options:
* K-x,
* K-7, and/or
* new good lens(ses).

The K-x is a nice entry level dSLR that is very good value. The K-7 is a semi-pro level dSLR with nice WR, if you shoot outdoor, and it is good value right now, with several 2nd hand bodies on the market. Either way, you cannot get wrong with either camera bodies: these are nice camera bodies.

However it is also worth to invest in some good lens(es). "Good glass is worth every penny" and that is very true. I have a K-7 and I can see the IQ difference with the prime lenses.

In your case, I could possible suggest to consider a fast prime (around 50mm and f1.4). It would allow you to take shot indoor of your little fellow without flash. I have also young children and I found that my shots are more natural when I do not use the flash. This requires however a large aperture lens.

Hope that the comments will help...
11-22-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

In Japan, you're the perfect choice for the K-x and K-r.
Both of those cameras have been targeted at mothers(as well as others, but seemed to be a hit with mums), especially the K-x when it was first released.
The better ISO would be better for indoors(along with a faster lens), and you might find the video very useful for your child.
Budget allowing, I would opt for the K-r.
11-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The choice beteween a k-x and k-r hinges on the price difference and more crucially on how much money that seems to be for you. As far as picture quality is considered these are very similar, but the k-r has improved auto-focus (with viewfinder indicators to which you might be accustomed to) and a hi-res display that, while not essential are very nice to have so if budget is not very tight I'd go for that. A lens suggestion could be the Tamron 17-50 1:2.8; this is relatively inexpensive, yet respectable quality and combined with the high ISO capability of k-x/k-r is nice for indoor shots without a flash (an external one with TTL and tilt&swivel head, by the way, is another piece of kit you might consider).

11-22-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
All very good points!

I should invest in new glass too, I really should. I do have a flash (AF-360FGZ) that I admit I don't know how to use well, but I do know that I absolutely hate the way it looks when I use it indoors. Now that it's winter our days are quite short and our sunlight not so bright, and I have no way around not using it inside. A nice lens would probably make me a happy girl.

I'm leaning toward a K-r if I can find a good deal, but it might depend on what I find.
11-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekkt Quote
... I do have a flash (AF-360FGZ) that I admit I don't know how to use well, but I do know that I absolutely hate the way it looks when I use it indoors. Now that it's winter our days are quite short and our sunlight not so bright, and I have no way around not using it inside...
A good chance to learn to use it

You don't mention which lenses you already have.

Stick a little longer with your current camera and invest in some nice glass now; a 17-50/2.8 is already mentioned or the new DA35/2.4.
Do some research because not all lenses are fully functional on the K110D (sdm only lenses like the DA17-70 will be manual focus lenses)

I don't necessarily agree on hcc's advice for a fast fifty. If you don't have space to move around and compose, it might be too long for indoors.
11-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My suggestion, K-x and DA 16-45

Hi geekkt and welcome.

My suggestion would be to get a used K-x (color choice is of course more problematic with a used camera, but I found my white one pretty easily) it addition look for a used DA 16-45 lens. With the K-x's ability to take high ISO shots, coupled with shake reduction, I think you'll find that you can leave the flash in the bag much more often. I initially graduated from a DS to a K10D and I was amazed at what a difference SR made.
I suggest the K-x rather than the K-r because
a) there is not a HUGE difference technically between the two cameras
b) the money saved on buying the used K-x can be spent on a better lens, either the Tamron 17-50 mentioned above or the Pentax 16-45, both are excellent lenses and both would be great matches with your new body, whether it be the K-r or the K-x

NaCl(ps don't mention to hubby that you are getting a new body, he might get the wrong ideas)H2O

11-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
A good chance to learn to use it
Haha, how true. I'm trying, I just can't stand how unnatural it makes him look.

I've got the 18-55 kit lens, a SMC Pentax FA 28-105 4-5.6 that I rarely use, and a macro lens.
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geekkt Quote
Haha, how true. I'm trying, I just can't stand how unnatural it makes him look.

I've got the 18-55 kit lens, a SMC Pentax FA 28-105 4-5.6 that I rarely use, and a macro lens.
just as a side note geekkt have you tried bouncing the flash? Turning the head so it's not pointed right at your son but reflected off the walls or ceiling? Another technique is to use a flash hood. You can find them fairly cheaply online or you can cheat and use a white coffee filer rubberbanded around the head of your flash.

NaCl(both techniques help reduce the harshness usually caused by direct flash)H2O
11-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
just as a side note geekkt have you tried bouncing the flash?... Another technique is to use a flash hood.
I do both, but still don't particularly like the result.

I think I'll be happy with a nice used Kx or Kr if I can find one, along with a good lens.