Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any tricks to minimize dust when changing lens.

Any tricks out there for changing lens in the field. I am dreaming of collecting a bunch of prime lenses (even M42) and wonder how I can change them on the go without the dust getting in.

Why not carry a shopping bag and do the changing inside of it ? Would this work? Any real ideas out there ?

Thanks.

09-23-2007, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rule #1, keep you bag as clean as you can. Dust it regularly.
09-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

when im changing lenses in the field i blow air perpendicular to the body hole.....i dont blow directly into it to avoid spitting into it
09-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also,

1) Wipe down your lenses and camera body regularly to minimize dust flying off the items as you switch lenses. Also, wipe down, blow air into your caps to keep them clean.

2) Keep front and rear lens caps on at all times while in the case and until the last moment before switching.

3) When replacing a lens, keep the body cavity facing down or facing the opposite direction of blowing wind (use your body as a shield if neeeded)

4) Carry a bulb to blow dust out when needed. If one isn't handy, I also do the blowing sideways bit to avoid a spittle incident.

09-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can second having a blower on hand.

I think 99% of the time dust gets in the camera while changing lenses comes from dust on the lens mount. When the lens mount is dusty break out the blower before attaching the lens.
09-24-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

if the wind is blowing try to find a shelter from it, if you cant you can put your back to the wind and bend over a little and and use your body as a shield while keeping the camera pointed down... always try to be quick about it, but not slopy, youll end up dropping something... the longer you have the lens off the more dust is going to get in....
09-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Avoid the wind, and don't worry about -

Dust is a way of life in DSLR land, but it really isn't as big a deal as it seems many people make it. I change lenses all the time - even changed on a windy SoCal beach... sure, I get a spec of dust once and a while - blower clears it right up, and if it does make it into my pics, Healing brush clears it right up
09-25-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if this is true seems to be working for me... someone told me to make sure your camera is off for at least 30 seconds before you change lenses otherwise the cmos is still warm and causes dust to be sucked into the camera body.