Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Flip up LCD

Is there a Pentax Digital SLR with a flip up LCD?

Mickey

11-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that I'm aware of. Not even the 645D.
11-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, writeb.

I wonder why they have refrained from introducing such a useful device.

Mickey
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I keep saying I won't buy another one until they do but.... THIS time, I Mean it!

11-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I keep saying I won't buy another one until they do but.... THIS time, I Mean it!

Me, too. My Canon P&S's have spoiled me for that feature.
11-22-2010, 01:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by writeb Quote
Not even the 645D.
That's the last camera i would expect to have it on... all the cameras out there with one have it on their newbie type cameras not their high end kit. Because its a feature for people who use live view.

Obviously useful for video though which probably makes the 60d the best video dslr going.
11-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Obviously useful for video though which probably makes the 60d the best video dslr going.
Count me in as one who uses it on their old Canon P & S and misses it every time I go out with my K10D. I take over half of my pictures at odd angles, where my head isn't going to get behind the viewfinder, and I've gotten used to doing without.

I almost decided to stop thinking about a K5 and looked seriously into the 60D. But it's just not enough of a step up to warrant the switch, and even Canon users are grousing about it. So I'm actually kind of happy that there aren't other Canon orNikon DSLRs with an articulating screen, otherwise I'd be really torn. As it is it's only the 60D and I'm not tempted enough by it.
11-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am 78 years old. I have an artificial knee that is not quite as perfect as my original originally was.

There are many pictures that I would like to take from a low level.
I can get down alright but getting up is another matter.

'tis indeed a quandary.

Come on Pentax, consider us old geezers.

Mickey

11-23-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I myself see a much bigger point in using a tiltable LCD on mirrorless cameras that are 100% live-view. Hopefully it will not take that long before Pentax release this type of system.

On a DSLR a tiltable LCD will most likely affect the quality of the optical viewfinder, so I prefer them with fixed LCD. Sony has showed how bad OVF can be on DSLR with tiltable LCD, small and hard to use. I haven't tested Canon 60D yet, but the OVF look nicer than on Sony DSLR, but I suspect that OVF on 60D is a bit harder to use than on older xxD DSLR from Canon.
11-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I am 78 years old. I have an artificial knee that is not quite as perfect as my original originally was.

There are many pictures that I would like to take from a low level.
I can get down alright but getting up is another matter.

'tis indeed a quandary.

Come on Pentax, consider us old geezers.

Mickey

Mickey, I hear ya! : ) My whole mindset is that the camera has to go where the best shoot is, and if my head isn't near it it snaps away anyway. It doesn't come up to your face and then you try to move from there while your eyes are on the viewfinder. So not having a flip out LCD I generally keep my eye on the subject and not on the viewfinder while I'm shooting. There's no time. I sometimes check the camera settings but then it goes back to my knees or overhead. I simply don't get people who insist it's a useless feature for amateurs. For nearly all of what I do I'll take a less than accurate swing out LCD over having all my shots taken from positions where I can put my head behind the camera.
11-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

+1: This would be very nice to have.
11-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
Pentaxian

This LCDE screen give us more chance to broke. The more moveable thing on any machine, more repair$$
11-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That's the last camera i would expect to have it on... all the cameras out there with one have it on their newbie type cameras not their high end kit. Because its a feature for people who use live view.
-OR people used to waist level view finders on medium format cameras....
11-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I do not use the LCD for focusing or judging exposure or depth of field.
I do use it for roughly framing the picture and for checking after the decisive moment to make sure I got approximately what I want. The quality of it's image is not of overriding importance.

I find it useless for much else but it would be a great asset to me when I can't get down and dirty.

I would never buy a camera without an eye level viewfinder. I have tried them. Yuk.

Mickey

P.S.
An alternative might be a separate plug in LCD with a reasonably long connecting wire.
M.O.
11-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I imagine it would give some more (convenient :-) photo opportunities (especially with an AF lens). I sometimes use the LCD for framing and even for focusing (magnified) when the camera mounted on a tripod with the viewfinder in an awkward position. I suppose a tilting or detachable LCD would often make this kind of thing more convenient.