Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will PRIME be in other Pentax?

Do you think even the 6mp dslrs will have PRIME 22 bit converters? We may get to see soon with the replacement for the K110 ( it is discontinued in the US). If there is a replacement. Canon puts digic in almost every camera they make.
thanks
barondla

12-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Do you think even the 6mp dslrs will have PRIME 22 bit converters? We may get to see soon with the replacement for the K110 ( it is discontinued in the US). If there is a replacement. Canon puts digic in almost every camera they make.
thanks
barondla
I am not sure there is much more to gain from the present 6 MP Sony sensor. IQ is pretty much as good as it can be. What I would like is a new generation 6 MP sensor with the PRIME or similar modern processor in a Pentax DSLR body build for pro use in terms of high speed, durabillity and with more advanced lowlight capabillities and a featureset like the K10D.
Something like the Nikon D2H Pentax wise. An available light monster machine with superior DR and high ISO image quality.

I know availabillty and pro style support is more important at the moment but if that happens then I would not mind if Pentax tried to manufacture a true pro DSLR line perhaps with the same basic featureset but with 10 MP and 6 MP alternatives. This is what I would like to see and is not the same as what I expect.

I expect Pentax to stay in the sub pro area (semi-pro) for at least a few more years but even if they continue to stay there my personal needs will defenitely be covered anyway. Hopefully the K100D and the K10D will provide Pentax with enough profit to expand fully into the pro segment.

Last edited by dotnik; 12-05-2006 at 03:34 PM.
12-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dotnik Quote
I am not sure there is much more to gain from the present 6 MP Sony sensor. IQ is pretty much as good as it can be. What I would like is a new generation 6 MP sensor with the PRIME or similar modern processor in a Pentax DSLR body build for pro use in terms of high speed, durabillity and with more advanced lowlight capabillities and a featureset like the K10D.
Something like the Nikon D2H Pentax wise. An available light monster machine with superior DR and high ISO image quality.

I know availabillty and pro style support is more important at the moment but if that happens then I would not mind if Pentax tried to manufacture a true pro DSLR line perhaps with the same basic featureset but with 10 MP and 6 MP alternatives. This is what I would like to see and is not the same as what I expect.

I expect Pentax to stay in the sub pro area (semi-pro) for at least a few more years but even if they continue to stay there my personal needs will defenitely be covered anyway. Hopefully the K100D and the K10D will provide Pentax with enough profit to expand fully into the pro segment.
Would it be possible that they might bump up the k100 series next time around to the older 8mp sony sensors and add a few more "trick" items, like prime?
using the 8mp sensor would keep the cost down where it is still a entry level, but 8mp might boost its popularity as far as the "I want more MP" beginners crowd.

just a thought....

cheers

randy

cheers
12-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #4

Will they replace the K110?

So the K110 is discontinued in the US. Will they replace it? I doubt it. I wasn't even looking at Pentax when I started looking at DSLRs last month. When I saw the K100 with a better feature set than the Nikon D50, and for $100 less I was hooked. The shake reduction was the final volley that sank Nikon's ship for me. Sure the K110 was yet another $100 less, but the extra $100 to have the SR on any lens I mount to the K100 just made sense.

Nikon is now stripping down the D50 even further into the D40 to try compete with their name in the K100's price range. Sadly, I think many folks will assume that the D40 is better than the similarly priced K100 because of the name. Anyone who does a little research on the web though will see that the K100 offers way more. I think Pentax sees the issue at it's core. US buyers who want a big time name at a low price will buy the Nikon D40, no matter what the K110 sells for. Opposite them, the US buyer who does their research and chooses Pentax will most likely pony up the extra bucks for the K100 with SR because those buyers will understand the value it is. No doubt the K110 can kick either Nikon's rear on features and performance alone, but I just don't think it's selling that well against it's K100 big brother.

Of course now that the K110 is discontinued in the US that means low numbers imported. Watch the K110, and not the K100, become the next K1000 cult following Pentax.