Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
First off, I love my new k-5. I have been impressed by it in almost every aspect and the new firmware update has shown that it may be possible for it to just continue getting better and better.

I have been professionally shooting college sports, where the FPS, low ISO performance, and improved auto focus (especially the AF-C) have been huge improvements over most gear I have used in the past, and may be just below $5000 cameras like the D3s and Mark IV. I also personally love shooting architecture and landscapes and have found that this little camera (although mines not so little any more, due to the grip, which actually makes it fit my big hands much better anyhow) is amazingly great for everything I do in photography.

Sorry for the crappy pic (phone camera in the dark) but its the only one I have on hand of my new baby with the cheap but great ebay grip and my new-vintage strap.

I shoot a lot of HDR, but the DR (dynamic range) of this new sensor has made multiple exposures unnecessary in certain low to medium contrast scenes, which is really nice (fewer exposures always make life easier). The DR at ISO 80 is especially impressive (just check the DXOmark scores for further analytical proof) but I just wanted to show you a real world example I took last week. Below is a single exposure (80 ISO, 10mm, f9, 1/200, handheld) shot I took last week while I was out in souther California for the annual international neuroscience convention. It was midday, which is the worst time to shoot due to harsh overhead sun, vertical shadows and diluted DR, but with the K-5 I was able to pull details in the shadows and keep detail in the sky with no problem or noise. This was taken at the Salk institute which is a very amazing research institution (world leading) and which sits on the cliffs of La Jolla, CA over looking the pacific (for more info on the shot and the location visit my flicker site flickr.com/benison).

And without further ado (not a link to the full size, which is massive and awesome, but you will hopefully get the picture, pun intended)
This literally blew my primary visual cortex, Area 17 !

I anticipate much visual stimuli once you take it to a next step with an 8-16 Sigma lens!

Keep up posted, this is extremely satisfying ... visually!

Cheers.

JP

11-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #17
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That is a great shot and more evidence of why I prefer the Sigma 10-20 over the DA15. 5mm at the short end is like 500mm at the long end.
11-23-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
That is a great shot and more evidence of why I prefer the Sigma 10-20 over the DA15. 5mm at the short end is like 500mm at the long end.
Ya, I think the measly 2mm difference between the sigma 10mm and the 8mm, while not sounding like a lot, ends up giving you about 20% more field of view on both the horizontal and vertical axises.
11-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Area 17 !
Brocca or Broadman? JK.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

11-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #20

Wonderful shot : ) Really nice!
11-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Have you tried the one shot HD feature on the K5?
If so, please post an example.
11-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just gave you some rep points!

WOW. That is an impressive shot, crisp, sharp, fantastic PP, great composition.

I would love to see the original image unedited, pre-PP, just to see the effect of the shadow lifting and get a better idea of the DR involved in that scene.

11-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #23

Lovely shot.

I'm curious though. You said it was mid-day but the shadows of the walls on the left stretch right across the ground? What is causing that?
11-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #24

Excellent pic! After reading this thread, I noticed the new Lincoln Mkz commercial is partially filmed in this exact same location!
11-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by piesforyou Quote
You said it was mid-day but the shadows of the walls on the left stretch right across the ground? What is causing that?

The wall to the left is the south wall, and since this was taken in the northern hemisphere during the winter...
11-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
The wall to the left is the south wall, and since this was taken in the northern hemisphere during the winter...
Ah I see, it was the sun.
11-25-2010, 01:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that is a fantastic BW ....very well done to you sir