Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xazzaxas Quote
two things i'm seeing here (or at least I think so):

1) luminance noise)
2) shake/motion induced blur

==> 1) k-7's sensor is really noisy (mine, at least). The method I use is: RAW + lightroom 3 noise reduction.

==> 2) - is your tripod sturdy, heavy? If not, then use shorter exposures/share reduction + artificial light instead. Or mirror lockup. Still, 1/13 is still going to notice some of the subject's movement.

That, and k-7's AF really, really sucks balls. Really. ; ]

Anyway, my two cents.

EDIT: Also, what lens are you using? Maybe it's just low on MTF/resolution? My Helios f/2.0 58 sure is ; ]
I was using an old Pentax film lens - 50mm f/1.8. My tripod is about average, and I was using a timed shutter release to reduce camera shake.

The AF I don't have much of a problem with - I've owned Olympus & Canon DSLR's and I can't say I've been impressed with any of them so far, Pentax included. The main reason I got the K-7 was the viewfinder: much bigger and brighter than anything else I could find in its price range. I think the next thing is to get a Katzeye focusing screen and I may be able to get some nice sharp manual focus.

11-26-2010, 02:51 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by prob01 Quote
I was using an old Pentax film lens - 50mm f/1.8. My tripod is about average, and I was using a timed shutter release to reduce camera shake.

The AF I don't have much of a problem with - I've owned Olympus & Canon DSLR's and I can't say I've been impressed with any of them so far, Pentax included. The main reason I got the K-7 was the viewfinder: much bigger and brighter than anything else I could find in its price range. I think the next thing is to get a Katzeye focusing screen and I may be able to get some nice sharp manual focus.
So the lens resolution might be low, given than you say it's both old AND designed for film. Are you able to get anything sharper out of it in better lighting conditions where you don't have to use such a slow shutter and on a completely static subject? That would give us an idea whether its lenses' fault or shake/subject blur OR luminance noise (but since you say you use topazlabs product, then I guess you got rid of it (some loss of detail always happens, tried it))

Timed shutter does just that, but remember there is also vibration from the shutter itself. In k-7 it got dampened quite well, yet is still noticeable with lighter tripods and longer exposures (a long exposure of a light source moving in a straight line would prove whether the tripod is sturdy enough).

The perks of k-7's pentaprism are obvious. Still the viewfinder is not even half as good as it was in Zenit film cameras (CCCP production : P).

Oooh, katzeye, I'd like to get me some o'that. Too expensive though and hard to get - polish zloty (you earn less of it and it's worth way less) & Poland (most pentax accesories are not available and must be imported...; most third party companies don't even consider selling here).

I was planning to buy a nikon dk-17m and fit it onto a dk-22 to increase the size of the viewfinder. And since dk-17m's lens is way bigger than the oe-m53 and dk-21m, it's bound to be more comfortable. At least I think so. ; ]
11-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by prob01 Quote
I was using an old Pentax film lens - 50mm f/1.8.
To my knowledge, Pentax has never made a 50mm f/1.8 lens. Did you mean either the K 55/1.8 or any of the 50mm f/1.7 lenses? Any of those should be plenty sharp for the K-7, definitely when stopped down to f/2.8 or smaller. If not, there might be something wrong with the lens.