Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #16
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I believe this is more trivial
Could it be that, it's derived from the Japanese name of Pentax or Ashahi . Their a lot of K in the historical name
Asahi Optical Co., Ltd. (旭光学工業株式会社, Asahi Kōgaku Kōgyō Kabushiki-gaishaand when the company was rename in 2002 took the name of Pentax Corporation

Pentakkusu Kabushiki-gaisha, and Pentax K mount is really PK mount
You can read a lot in Wikipedia on K mount but they dont talk about that fact

K seem to be a very popular letter it seem in Japan

OR Could it be because when you install a lense it's about the angle between the position 0 and the locking position who is about angle on the K

Or The K Bayonnet system is base on three tab like a K
Also The K mount was co invented with the German Zeiss and the German use a lot of K

But hitorian can give us the correct answer
or it could be as simple as Asahi Opticals first use of the letter K which stood for ‘King’. or so the history is told.

11-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Or maybe someone at Asahi, back in 1976, simply liked the sound of the K.

That's the only explanation George Eastman ever gave as to where he came up with the name, Kodak. He liked all the K sounds in the name.

Or maybe it was their tenth attempt at a bayonet mount. Who knows?

Maybe it was someone's initial. The story is that the name "Takumar" came from the name of their chief lens designer back in the early fifties, when Asahi began making cameras. Maybe they did something similar with the name of the mounting system.
11-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Or maybe someone at Asahi, back in 1976, simply liked the sound of the K.

That's the only explanation George Eastman ever gave as to where he came up with the name, Kodak. He liked all the K sounds in the name.

Or maybe it was their tenth attempt at a bayonet mount. Who knows?

Maybe it was someone's initial. The story is that the name "Takumar" came from the name of their chief lens designer back in the early fifties, when Asahi began making cameras. Maybe they did something similar with the name of the mounting system.

that would be Takuma Kajiwara
11-23-2010, 09:59 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
This is one of the more offensive things I have seen posted on these forums.
I'm not even sure what your offended at. The abbreviation of Japanese?

Okay so I googled 'Jap' and found it is apparently racist according to some American sources...

I dont think its considered to be so in Australia.

Skippys use abbrevo's all the time.

11-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the camera model designations, I would be all in favor of going with more meaningful names. How about taking a clue from the FSU cameras? I have a Zorki (Russian for "sharp"), a Kiev (city on the Volga in Ukraine), and a FED (not a word...rather it is initials of the first head of the Soviet secret police...Oh, well!). There were also cameras named after other cities (Moskva) and concepts (Mir for peace). Lenses had names like Jupiter and Helios.

Come to think about it, the abbreviated and numeric camera names for Japanese cameras were mostly a product of the 1970s. Before then we had names like Spotmatic, Autoreflex, TL Electro-X, Lynx, Minister, Autocord, Singlex, Pellix, and Canonet.

I am ready for the pendulum to swing back the other way. How about some suggestions for creative camera names?

Greek/Roman Gods and Goddesses? (Artemis sounds good to me)
Fancy names for colors or fabrics?
Ancient names of countries, cities, or regions?
Take-offs on names of sharp weapons (Rapier?)
Words associated with precision or craftsmanship?
Words associated with light and/or illumination? (Lumix is already taken)

Steve
11-24-2010, 09:50 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Nissan Cedric et al

I remember reading , back in the mists of time, that Japanese bikes (and, I presume, cameras) had numbers because Japanese advertising was forbidden to appeal to the emotions, which names were seen to do. From what I've seen that stance seems to have changed lately.

Even further OT - my favourite roadtest quote. - A car, the Nissan Bluebird, was described in Autocar, I think, as one which "does nothing but does it really, really well".
11-24-2010, 10:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
That would make it Q[ue] mount.

Which might not be so O-K for Zeiss. (apparently the purported creator, in a loose tie up with Pentax, circa '75)

.R.
Hence the letter K from Kamera in German.
11-24-2010, 10:48 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
If what he said is racist, I'll have to stop calling my in-laws "Brits".
They probably refer to you as the Yank anyway!

Jason

11-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Actually this makes a lot of sense to me given that their logo on the early camera cases was a crown et all.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
or it could be as simple as Asahi Opticals first use of the letter K which stood for ‘King’. or so the history is told.
11-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
their logo on the early camera cases was a crown et all.
Are you sure? Never seen such a logo on Pentax cameras...
11-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Are you sure? Never seen such a logo on Pentax cameras...
on the camera cases, not the cameras. Asahi Opt. used their eye logo with a crown over it. it was introduced, I believe in ’57, originally without the crown. that, I am almost sure appeared in ’58, with the introduction of the Asahi Pentax ‘K’. it was Asahi Optical’s logo for ‘Pentax’ cameras.
11-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

on the camera cases, not the cameras. Asahi Opt. used their eye logo with a crown over it. it was introduced, I believe in ’57, originally without the crown. that, I am almost sure appeared in ’58, with the introduction of the Asahi Pentax ‘K’. it was Asahi Optical’s logo for ‘Pentax’ cameras.
Thanks. An unquestionable argument for the "King" theory.

But then, another serious question arises: what gender has a camera? it's a he or a she?

Last edited by Manel Brand; 11-25-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add something
11-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

No box to show here, but a good stroll down nostalgia lane nonetheless. With maybe a good case to show.

The "AOCO" logo embellished into that classic chromium-edged thick brown leather case of the 1957 pentaprism is a wonderful sight to behold of the majestic craftsmanship detail of the times.

Cameras of my collection - the Original Asahi-Pentax

Fwiw: the "K = King" theory (Can someone please produce references for this claim?), has proven difficult to trace any roots of, nor does it comfortably make sense considering neither Deutchland (since 1806) nor Japan had a monarchy, and, the only major western power worth impressing at the time, England, had long ago installed a Queen, although she married a kraut, he certainly was no König. (great character old Phil though )
So in absence of evidence I still suspect 'tis Zeiss the mount originator who rightly owns contriving the K origin, as they originally did much earlier the name Pentax.
Their short lived K model, successor to S both in 1958, didn't seem to make big waves at the time unlike its follower S2/H2. Interesting stuff.

See:
"
"Pentax" by way of Germany. Many people call 42mm screw mount lenses "Pentax Screw Mount" due to Pentax popularizing the 42mm screw mount. However, the first camera to use it was the East German Zeiss Contax S in 1949. Some believe the camera was designed before WWII interrupted production. Even the Pentax name was originally German. According to a book by Alexander Schultz called "Contax S, A History of the World's first 35mm Prism SLR Camera, Asahi bought the trademarked "Pentax" name from the East German camera manufacturer VEB Zeiss Ikon in Dresden about 1954. Looking backwards, it was not one of VEB's best decisions. Apparently Pentax originally derived from PENTaprism and contAX, before the East Germans lost the court battle with West German Zeiss to use the Contax name world wide.
"
http://www.cameraquest.com/pentorig.htm

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-25-2010 at 12:58 PM.
11-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

japs, yanks, poms...
hardly think its racist
Pete
11-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
japs, yanks, poms...
hardly think its racist
Pete
its not what you think. its what the race you are referring to thinks. it seems quite a lot of australians have a rather relaxed view towards such things.