Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #1

I would like a K-5 but my K20 is still OK.

For quite sometime I have been drooling over the K-5, there are plenty of reasons for wanting one. There is however one good reason to wait, lack of funds.
Well, this feeling of want is hitting hard today so, a few minutes ago I put the 18-55 WR lens on, set the camera to RAW and ISO 3200 turned around in my chair and aimed at the darkest part of the room. The result you can see below.
The exif is intact on the first shot. The room is lit only by a 40watt bulb and it is hardly bright enough to read (but ideal for viewing the computer screen).

This second shot has been through Noiseware and then slightly sharpened with USM and a small colour correction, both done in PhotoImact12.

I fully realize there are many things on the K-5 that leave the K20 light years behind, but I rarely do sports photography and rarely go has high as ISO 3200 so I reckon the old gal will have to do another season. The thing is, I reckon ISO 3200 has turned out fairly OK. What do you think?

Richard.

11-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks reasonable, Richard.

I usually don't mind any noise at 3200, (Not that it's not there, but I like a bit of texture, most of the time, anyway. In monochrome I'd use 6400 a fair bit, even, but I do get banding a little too often. ) I was never that big on fine grain in film days, and I guess that carries over. The K-5's really droolable, but I'm still happy here for now.
11-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Richard, you've shown that the K-5 is great to 'want', but the K20D is doing what you want it to - so there is little in your case to 'justify' getting the K-5 (other than you just want it ).

ISO 3200 on the K20D is rarely useful for anything other than web-sized images.
ISO 12800 on the K-5 OTOH is quite useable beyond this resolution.
11-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I've always thought all of the cameras quite capable in the right conditions.

Natural light, ISO 1600, K20d, DA*16-50

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2764883193_3a48b7e780_o.jpg

(providing links to show more than just Web sized).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3295/2765731054_fff3e62b04_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3270/2765728562_30809f5cb8_o.jpg

Noisy? Yes, A little. Servicable? Definitely.

There are a lot of reasons to go from the K20d to the K5 IMO but if your K20d is doing the job for you that's the biggest argument against it.

11-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #5

i dont know the correct term in english, this is shopaholic I think.

if your K20 does the job, maybe you want a k5 only to be part of all theses forumers who have a K5 and seems to be part of a special group you'd like to be in.

Im pretty sure you wont be 100% buying a k5 now. This is not the camera you want (and need), this is the fact to own the camera.

typical consommation syndrom.

ask yourself and you will know
11-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
It`s good to see that some of you see my situation, but when the K-5 price drops and I have the cash to spare, I will have one and the reason is simple - they are fantastic.

Richard
11-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The DR range, for landscapes, is really pushing me towards the K5, so might be a great interim camera while I wait for that damn FF. Could be goodbye K20, hello K5!

11-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Spencer Quote
What do you think?
I think you cant afford a K-5 and your trying to make yourself feel better.

I cant afford a K-5 right now either... so I might also turn to denial.
11-24-2010, 01:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would like a K-5 but my K20 is still OK
I hope you don't mind if I rephrase that:

"I would like a K-5 but my K10 is still OK"

Presently, I could easily afford the K-5, if willing to sell the K10.

Know what? I wont sell it for any price! They don't make it anymore.
11-24-2010, 05:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is nothing wrong with getting a new camera (or other item for that matter). The problem comes when we start confusing needs and wants. My current cameras will continue to serve me well until I can afford a new one.

The funny thing is that most professionals don't seem to struggle with this. They know very clearly if their gear is getting the job done or, if they need to save for something higher end. On the other hand, since hobbyists aren't doing any job in particular, they always think that there is something better out there (which there generally is).
11-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can hear voices from a lot of cameras.

Sure the K5 is calling me, and I might get one, but my K7, K10 and *istD are all calling from the camera bag already

As others have said, there is want, and there is need. Truth be said, my *istD is still a capable camera, suitible for most photographic needs, light years ahead of any film body. Yet today it only accounts for about 10% of my shots.
11-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Forum Member

yes, it's always about money
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I doubt nearly anyone here has outgrown the K20D. It's a more capable body than most have the skills for...yet the "first adopters" make it so hard not to think we needn't upgrade each time a new body is released.

Not saying I wouldn't want a new K-5.

Jason
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Not saying I wouldn't want a new K-5.

Jason
I'm saving for one. You can count on that. I'm temped to quit smoke
11-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #15
elg
Forum Member

For quite sometime I have been drooling over the K-5, there are plenty of reasons for wanting one. There is however one good reason to wait, lack of funds.
There may be a few other good reasons too, Richard.
Like early adopters issues. Camera is more expensive now, than it will be later.
I have read some forum posts (not here) where the jpeg quality of K5 was not described from the best perspective. This may be important for those who like to take pictures in jpeg. I presume this is fixable by firmware update.
That said, I do not have K-5 myself, so I cannot check do the K5 jpeg's have really worse (from my subjective view) resolution than the competition.