Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
istD and flash

I've got my Dad's istD and I'm trying to figure out how to get decent results with his flash units. I've tried his AF 400T,and his AF 330FTZ but always need to use the computer to bump up the exposure and the brightness. I haven't tried his AF 500FTZ yet...
I tried using different TTL meter settings on the camera, different settings on the flash units..

They are supposed to work, what am I missing ?? The pics are reasonably good but that's after computer intervention. (They are jpegs not RAW, I think)

direct flash is way too much and bounce from the roof is low, a slave off to the side is better but lots of nasty shadows...
Help !

11-23-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to tell us what iso, shutter and aperture you are working with. I have used the *istD with the AF500FTZ for 7 years and had very good results. Normally I shoot in manual and set the shutter to 1/150. I use the flash with new digital lenses, Kmounts and M42'lenses with great success
11-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
Tried it, seems to work well....thumbs up

I preach to my guys "Read the Manual" , now it's my turn to do some reading 'coz I haven't even opened it yet...my bad. been too busy this week, no excuse I know.
11-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok, I've read 75% of the manual, does anyone make a Manual DSLR ?

I used a manual SLR and a 6x7 Pentax for years, now I have too many parameters to adjust.... Kidding folks, I'll get it eventually..