Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
*istD vs K10/K200

Further to this thread, can anyone tell me if a K10 or K200 is enough of a step up from the *istD in image quailty to warrant me buying one in the short term?

I have been playing with a *istD on loan from my brother and I am actually quite impressed with it. It even takes usable high iso shots.

At a recent event I photographed as a 'backup' photographer, I got less noise with 1600 and 3200 iso shots than my friend did with his much newer Nikon D80.

11-24-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the K200D a worthwhile step up from the K100D Super, even though that is a nice camera and the images were quite good. But the K200D has WR, a quieter shutter, and the ability to produce RAW+JPEG concurrently (which was big for me - I shoot RAW but I still like to have JPEGs that I can use right away without any PP). I also thought I liked the images slightly better from the K200D, although that's still tough to say for sure when I look at the nice shots from the K100D.
11-24-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

The K10D is a *ist D with a decent overhaul and facelift.
Make the comparison between the two using the forum's nifty comparator feature on the camera review database.

But if you're looking for high ISO noise control, forget it - neither the K10D nor the K200D will add detail to their ISO 1600 shots in comparison to those from the *ist D.

A temporary fix for high ISO performance before going for a K-5 would be a K-x. Now there's a little gem that will perform well at ISO 3200 and even 6400 if well managed. Question is how badly do you need a short-term camera whilst you're waiting for the K-5s to arrive at your local store? If it's not all that desperate, then I'd just wait until you could get the K-5, now there's yet another significant step up in high ISO performance.
11-24-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I don't own a *ist D. I do own a K100d (similar sensor), and my good friends own the K100d Super. Ash is spot on that if high ISO is your focus, stay where you are or, better yet, get the K-x. I think this is a safe purchase. Sometime in the next year, I will get it together to add a K-5 to my stable, but I doubt that the compact, AA fueled K-x will go away as a travel camera.

The K10d is relatively inexpensive and I, personally, would call the differences a lot more than a facelift. The K10d/K200d have the 10mp sensor, which is the last generation of the CCD sensors in a Pentax. IMHO, it has the best rendering at low ISO of any Pentax DSLR I have seen. Compared to the *ist D, it also adds shake reduction, dust removal, orientation sensing, compatibility with all lenses (including SDM), etc. I plan to keep mine indefinitely because I find the combination of its sensor and my older manual lenses to be special (though the exposure metering leaves something to be desired). If purchased now, used, it is doubtful that you would lose money selling a K10d again. I do like the high ISO performance of the 6mp CCD more, but if you keep that body, you still have that capability.

11-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

the *istD to K10D was the upgrade step I took.

I decided that 10MP vs 6MP was a sufficient step to justify the change. I felt going to a K100 and only getting SR did not justify the change. You will like the advantages of shake reduction

Since that time, almost 4 years ago now, I still use my *istD because it offers TTL flash, which allows use of older flash-guns, but it also allows flash support to K mount and M42 lenses, which you will give up when moving to the K10 or any of the pentax K series bodies. (the *istDS2 was the last body to support TTL flash and offer fplash support for manual lenses)

The K10D is a capable performer, and I still use it although I have also added a K7 to my line up. I use the K7 and K10 almost interchangeably.

I find I like the K7 for higher ISO shots and the K10 for lower ISO shots.

You should keep the *istD if you use older lenses, I have put a split image focusing screen into both the *istD and K10D and use them extensively with MF lenses
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Spock Quote
Further to this thread, can anyone tell me if a K10 or K200 is enough of a step up from the *istD in image quailty to warrant me buying one in the short term?
I went from an *istDL to the K200D and found there to be a noticeable improvement in image quality: better colors, better dynamic range, much better long exposure performance, less shadow noise at ISO 200. I can't say I ever noticed any improvement at higher ISOs, but then again, I rarely shoot above ISO 200.

The other big plus I found in the K200D was its dust removal system, which works remarkably well (better than I would have expected). I had a heck of a time keeping dust off that *istDL sensor.
11-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #7

I have an istDL, a K10, and a K20. I originally upgraded from the DL to the K10 and was vary happy with the upgrade. Later, I went for the K20 and use the K10 for a backup. The wife has now claimed the DL to accompany her P&S. Depending on what you are using it for, I'm sure istD would perfectly usable for most things.
Personally, if I had to pick from the three, it would have to be the K20.
I would love to get may hands on a K5, maybe next year...
11-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I recently upgraded from a K110D to a K200D. I've taken comparison shots of the same subjects using the kit lens on both cameras and the same settings. What I've discovered is on close shots (within 25 feet or so) the resolution of the K200D is much better than the K110D. Some of the improvement are likely attributed to the larger sensor. But I think some may also be attributed to shake reduction - a feature the K110D doesn't have (nor does the *istD.)

On shots further away, I find the resolution of the K200D shots noticeably improved over the K110D, but not quite like the close up shots. However, I find the color of the shots from the K110D seem to be more accurate than the K200D. (But take that with a grain of salt - I'm color blind.)

I'm very pleased with the K200D. It's a good upgrade for me.