Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #1

Pentax Customer "Tech" support

Called tech support yesterday to get some help with the included pentax software functionality that came with my ist dl.

First call got a rep who said that pentax did not make the software (browser and laboratory) and I should call "ACD" something software and that they really only did hardware in colorado..

Called the number provided and they said that they don't do pentax browser or laboratory software.

called pentax again got a different "expert" who seemed to hesitate for quite awhile and having difficulting understanding what I was talking about and then said to hold (2 minutes) while he got the manual...So their support turned out to be reading the manual to me.

cheeeeeeesh

12-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup, sometimes, with a lot of products, not only Pentax, tech support personnel know less about a specific product than an owner does.

What 'problem' are you having? Perhaps someone on the forum can help?
12-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
basics

Thanks, but I think pentax hit a new low sending me to a vendor for their own software and then reading the manual to me... this indicates zero or less reliablility and wastes our time.

I called about the 360 flash i bought a month ago and they could not tell me whether the grinding noise the zoom motor in the flash was making was normal or not. (i got the flash replaced and the first one was defective)

It was unclear to me what laboratory did... just raw files or jpgs too? (answer by trial and error... just raw as a file type in the file open gui, although the lab option is selectable throughout the browser product and opens empty when you select it for a jpg in browser)

i could not figure how to edit a pick..... i check marked them and tried everything and finally when i executed a crop, i kept clearing the options panel cause it was in my way and that ended crop... not intuitive but i had to move the options gui down away from the workspace to be able to grab the crop mask corner to do a crop. stupid things like that.

I guess I will have to shell out and buy a photo editing product given of what I have seen and tried in pentax browser.

thanks again
12-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not the greatest Pentax support fanboy, having my share of minor issues but in regards to software.... I never trust the vendor (user of farmed out software), or half the time the developer.
Too many variables.. could tell you stories by gum.....

12-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adamreisner Quote
Thanks, but I think pentax hit a new low sending me to a vendor for their own software and then reading the manual to me... this indicates zero or less reliablility and wastes our time.

I called about the 360 flash i bought a month ago and they could not tell me whether the grinding noise the zoom motor in the flash was making was normal or not. (i got the flash replaced and the first one was defective)

It was unclear to me what laboratory did... just raw files or jpgs too? (answer by trial and error... just raw as a file type in the file open gui, although the lab option is selectable throughout the browser product and opens empty when you select it for a jpg in browser)

i could not figure how to edit a pick..... i check marked them and tried everything and finally when i executed a crop, i kept clearing the options panel cause it was in my way and that ended crop... not intuitive but i had to move the options gui down away from the workspace to be able to grab the crop mask corner to do a crop. stupid things like that.

I guess I will have to shell out and buy a photo editing product given of what I have seen and tried in pentax browser.

thanks again
It is a shame that a company that claims to be there for their products cuts costs in an area that is so important to the consumer...... unfortunatley to save money big companies sorce out there work to places that may not be trained well.... and some cases the call center people might not even had a chance to even look at the product in question, because of their poor finacial background.

It think keeping someone happy after the fact is as important as the sale....
just my opinion.

If you are looking to get a starter's photo editor and organizer then Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 or 5 is a good bet.

PS excuse my spelling as it just plain sucks

cheers
12-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adamreisner:
Adobe Photoshop is the 'best', but also fairly expensive. Consider Adobe Photoshop Elements. Lastest version, 5, was just recently released and with each new version, more and more capabilities have been added for users wishing to edit photographic images. Is your location 'ca' Canada or California? Plenty of sources in California. Or, there is always mail-order. Well worth the minimal price, (less than $100).

p.s. I agree with you about 'supplied' software. It's not the 'greatest' or easiest to use.
12-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
Adobe Photoshop is the 'best', but also fairly expensive. Consider Adobe Photoshop Elements. Lastest version, 5, was just recently released and with each new version, more and more capabilities have been added for users wishing to edit photographic images. Is your location 'ca' Canada or California? Plenty of sources in California. Or, there is always mail-order. Well worth the minimal price, (less than $100).

p.s. I agree with you about 'supplied' software. It's not the 'greatest' or easiest to use.

just to add a little info, if you know someone that works at or is a student at a community college, then you can save a few bucks there.
I bought the photoshop elements 4/ premier elements 2 combo for $89 canadian dollars.... cheaper then photoshop elements it's self

BTW, premier elements 2 is an outstanding video editor if you are into that

randy

Last edited by slip; 12-05-2006 at 07:06 PM.
12-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Some of the earlier Pentax P&S cameras used ACDsee. Not sure if the dslrs did. Now they use the Silkypix engine. No camera company is great at software. If they were there wouldn't be an Adobe Photoshop. The Pentax is hard to use. I use RSE but Adobe killed it. When the K10D gets here I will have to learn to use something else.Talking to a rep isn't always the same as talking to a tech. Techs can answer any number of hardware questions (ex. "yes a DS can be modified by us to shoot infrared all the time"). Not sure how well they know software.
thanks
barondla

12-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Try Picture Window Pro. You can download the full package on a trial basis. This is much more intuitive than Photoshop and costs a lot less. Look at Norman Koren's web site re using this software.
12-31-2006, 11:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
It is a shame that a company that claims to be there for their products cuts costs in an area that is so important to the consumer...... unfortunatley to save money big companies sorce out there work to places that may not be trained well.... and some cases the call center people might not even had a chance to even look at the product in question, because of their poor finacial background.

It think keeping someone happy after the fact is as important as the sale....
just my opinion.
I'm the CS manager for a chain of 22 stores plus website (non-photo).). It's not as easy as it is made out to be..

1. Service is important but it does not directly generate income, so the budget will always go to marketing and sales.
2. Very difficult to find knowledgable, technically oriented people who will work for $8 per hour.
3. We have perhaps 200 proprietary products (though we carry thousands in all). There is no way we are going to know the ins and outs of every one. We often refer to the manuals that we keep on file for that purpose. In some cases we have to ask our product manager, and in a few instances we contact the factory overseas. If you ask something like "what are the specs for the diode in a battery charger" - we will have no idea - we don't have schematics. In some cases there are typographical errors that confuse even us. Or. there is just no info, period.

And in many cases the consumer has trouble even communicating the (perceived) problem. "The little thing don't touch the big thing, and when I push it it won't go. I used new batteries in the controller." - without even specifiying the product or using the part names that are available in the manual, or reading the manual, or reading the FAQ or forum.
01-01-2007, 08:16 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Not that it's right, but Most of the Pentax USA office folks are on Vacation and won't return until tomorrow, Jan 2. Who you talked with is most likely the guy with the least experience as he is at the bottom of the seniority ladder and "had" to work as part of a minimum crew.
I'd give them another shot later this week when they get back.
Just my two cents worth. . .
01-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote
FWIW, if you or a family member are an educator or student, you can get a substantial discount on Adobe CS (the whole package, not just Photoshop). A friend just ordered it for himself for about $275 (not an exact price). Granted, that's still high for a lot of folks, but a steep discount off the more than $1000 street price for the package.
01-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I use Bibble for working with RAW files, I hate the pentax lab software.. :-/
01-01-2007, 11:17 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by adamreisner Quote
Called tech support yesterday to get some help with the included pentax software functionality that came with my ist dl...

Adam, I'm on my 6th digital camera, and I have never uses any of the &^%&$ software that they come bundled with. I'm a bit surprised that anyone would contact Pentax support with a software question. I read the replies and you got some very good suggestions for alternatives.

The poor customer support that you got for your flash is inexcusable. They should be able to answer a very reasonable question.