Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

KX Shutter Sound

I am retiring my faithful MX with motor drive and moving on to a used KX. The MX had a loud mirror slap until the mirror stuck) as does the Super Program. I just returned an Olympus E-620 because it's AF was too slow for me in low light and it had a loud shutter sound. I have never held an KX much less hear ones shutter sound. Is the KX as loud as my old MX and Super?

11-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cannot compare the Kx to the MX or Super but I can say that I think the Kx shutter is pretty loud. Definitely louder than the K7.
11-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
I am retiring my faithful MX with motor drive and moving on to a used KX. The MX had a loud mirror slap until the mirror stuck) as does the Super Program. I just returned an Olympus E-620 because it's AF was too slow for me in low light and it had a loud shutter sound. I have never held an KX much less hear ones shutter sound. Is the KX as loud as my old MX and Super?
It's been so long since I shot a MX that I'm not sure I remember how loud it was. Hovever the K-x is fairly loud.

NaCl(about a soft hand clap I think)H2O
11-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Forum Member

a quick search on youtube on youtube yielded a ton of people showing how fast their k-x shot on continuous mode... all had some crappy audio but this is the best:

as opposed to the k7 and D3:

11-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Great comparison of the KX versus K7, etal. My MX had more of a "clunk" sound. I asked because I was talking to a Canon sports photog an the sideline of a football game I was working and he brought it up as a short coming of all Pentax camera's. He had to agree he was comparing his high dollar full frame with a less expensive camera. Thanks again. I guess I will have to do more searches on line before starting threads like this. I am new and still learning.
11-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Forum Member

not a problem at all, that's what a forum is for
11-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by texoma Quote
Great comparison of the KX versus K7, etal. My MX had more of a "clunk" sound. I asked because I was talking to a Canon sports photog an the sideline of a football game I was working and he brought it up as a short coming of all Pentax camera's. He had to agree he was comparing his high dollar full frame with a less expensive camera.
As an owner of both Pentax and Canon cameras I'm not surprised at what that Canon user said.

My K-x shutter has always been a very noticeable loud "Ker.lik-K.e.r.l.i.t.c.h" drawn out sound (it could never be used secretive), compared to both lower-cost P&S Canons I have, which are smooth and barely give much audible or tactile feedback whatever.

It's more apparent, and somewhat annoying, when using them now less frequently too, after using the Pentax. Because it doesn't "feel" like the Canon shutters have actually activated - only that their LCDs show a new pic had been taken.

There's been comments from adopters and reviewers that the new K-5 shutter is noticeably "quiet-er" too, indicating that their previous Pentax gear was loud(er).

Suppose it's what you get used to, and prepared to tolerate as well.

Otoh; there's no doubt that quiet, smooth, minimal-vibrate operation in electro~mechanical toys does tend to give impressions of better quality mfgr-design and craftsmanship to the end-user public. Even if robustness and endurance lifecycles are equivalent or slightly better.

Advantage lies with mfgrs here who have the quieter... because you can always add tactile or audible feedback electronically where considered apposite. And make it a user-config option too, like the vibrate and keyclick in mobiles phones. Simple.

But you can't evade or remove when the appliance sounds and feels like a 1938 Ukranian tractor in normal usage! Personally, I believe Pentax marketing and design need to get their finger out and address this issue.

.R.
11-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
The K-x shutter is pretty loud, my friend has a D40 and it is noticeably quieter than my camera. I've found that using a sealed lens like a DA* makes it quite a bit less noisy, but I'm not bothered by the noise much and it hasn't frightened any birds away so far.

11-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I pulled the trigger and next week I will know for my self as I just orderd a Kr from Amazon. They had the Kr with a 18-55mm and 55-300mm kit for $749 which I could no longer resist. Thnks for everyones comments they were most helpful.