Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Forum Member

entry-level DSLR v. professional/high end DSLR

hi all,
first things first happy thanksgiving! second, DSLR's offer better image quality over standard point and shoot digital cameras for a few reasons... what are the differences between entry-level DSLR's and pro-grade ones? is it just feature sets, pentaprisms, larger megapixel sensors, and faster shooting make a higher grade camera or is there something more, like better picture quality, higher dynamic range, etc?
post up what you think... and point and shoots vs. DSLRs can be debated as well

11-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r00t_b33r Quote
post up what you think... and point and shoots vs. DSLRs can be debated as well
That's sort of off-topic for a thread that's already broad, but your other question seems valid enough.

Currently there's a big difference between the K-x/K-r and the K-5. The technical differences can be viewed here: Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Essentially, the most important distinction is that the K-5's sensor scores 10 points higher than the K-r's in the dxomark sensor test (see link below). It has a higher dynamic range (by about two stops), better noise control, and higher resolution (it does make a difference). The other important difference is that the K-5 has a weather-sealed body featuring lots of external control, a 100% pentaprism viewfinder, and a top lcd. It supports a battery grip, and also has a slightly better AF system (with an added light wavelength sensor for low-light situations). The shutter is marginally faster, and the image buffer is larger (though it would be nice if it were larger). You pay twice the price, and you get a lot for it.

Read our review of the K-5's image quality here: Pentax K-5 Review - PentaxForums.com Professional Reviews

In my opinion, the K-r is sort of in the wrong place in the wrong time. It's not cheap enough compared to the K-x to be as popular, and it's more expensive than a used K-7, which still has a lot of advantages.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Firstly, comparing entry level and prosumer dSLRs, there's more to it than just results out of the box. Granted, the gap is narrowing fast in terms of image output between these two classes of dSLRs (for the same sensor size), but the justification for the increased cost of prosumer dSLRs is not just there.

And comparing P&Ss with dSLRs is like comparing a hoe and pick to an International harvester. In the end, sometimes, you can get similar results, but they're leagues apart where it matters...
11-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Just my opinion buy the best quality lens you can afford and get the body that suits your budget . Bodies come and go but good lens will never be sold.

11-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the comments guys, they're appreciated
11-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Adam, and have said it from the beginning, that the K-r is a pointless model. More expensive significantly than the K-x while offering very few advantages, and none that would justify the upgrade.

The top of the line cameras, on the other hand, offer superior ergonomics, which is the one main reason to buy them. However, for many the K20D might be just as good as the K-5 and at a fraction of the price. So long as you don't need to take photos in the dark but do want ultimate IQ.
11-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
Just my opinion buy the best quality lens you can afford and get the body that suits your budget . Bodies come and go but good lens will never be sold.
+1
Ensure that you have a budget for good quality lenses. The lenses are much more important that the body (eg between K-r and K-5) in terms of Image Quality (IQ) in my opinion.

A semi-pro camera will give you more controls, and might enable a professional photographer to get better IQ. But, for most amateurs, a good lens on an entry-level dSLR like the K-x or K-r would give you excellent IQ.

Personally I have a K-7 because I shoot often outdoor and I value the weather-resistance (WR) and the better view finder.

Hope that the comment will help...

11-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Adam summed it up very well, but I also agree with Hcc. As far as IQ is concerned, the body gets you there, but it is the eye (lens) that sees.
11-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Adam summed it up very well, but I also agree with Hcc. As far as IQ is concerned, the body gets you there, but it is the eye (lens) that sees.
And agreed here also.
For example, on a fixed budget, I'd be happier with an FA 31/43 + K-x than I would with a K-5 + FA 28-90 - there's no substitute for image quality.