Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

AC adapter for K-x

I understand that the Pentax K-x requires the K-AC84 power adapter. While checking prices online the least expensive I could find was a K-AC84U offered by Adorama. However, it is designated as compatible for use with the Pentax K2000.

Not knowing the significance of the "U" suffix, would this be OK for use with the K-x also?

11-26-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes- the K2000 has the same body as the K-x, so it'll work.

B&H indicates this as well:
Pentax K-AC84 AC Adapter Kit for Pentax K2000 & K-x 39762

Here are pictures of the two bodies side-by-side:
Pentax K-m vs. Pentax K-x - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stardog Quote
... I could find was a K-AC84U offered by Adorama. However, it is designated as compatible for use with the Pentax K2000.

Not knowing the significance of the "U" suffix, would this be OK for use with the K-x also?
The U designation would likely be regional for the wallsocket, in this case a power cord with US male plug one end is supplied with the kit.

There's also a K-AC84J kit available, from Japan.

It's unlikely these days that a non global non-auto-switching PS Adapter would be supplied in a kit of this nature so you need not worry about mains voltage incompatibility.
Although, still might be worthwhile to confirm before ordering if concerned.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-26-2010 at 08:55 PM.
11-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
Ananta Androscoggin

I have that adapter, bought from B+H shortly after I got the camera. It bothered me that the AC adapter for a camera still in the product lineup was no longer available on the Pentax Webstore, so I bought the first one I could fine (nearly the only one which came up on search). This kind of thing is part of why I dislike proprietary formatted products intensely.

Works just fine in the K-x.

11-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all re: the K-AC84U adapter clarification for use with a K-x. The easy part is always getting quick, informed responses via this forum. The hard part is shelling out $65 for a power adapter.
11-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Ananta Androscoggin

Just a note, since I've seen people confused by this, be sure to insert the battery-compartment adapter piece diagonally, connecting both legs of the "L" battery compartment. There's a sketch in the Operating Manual on page 42.
11-26-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stardog Quote
Thanks to all re: the K-AC84U adapter clarification for use with a K-x. The easy part is always getting quick, informed responses via this forum. The hard part is shelling out $65 for a power adapter.
Yeah not cheap is it!? You have to consider if it's really needed to justify the expense. Is not an essential to have one for most normal operation.

In my case not, perhaps only advantage might be for powering longer exposures(?) but even then, I'm not usually close enough to mains power at the time anyway.
Got 4 sets of AA rechargeables, shared with 2 flashes, to play with and haven't run dry yet.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-26-2010 at 09:06 PM.
11-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
I've been debating the merits of getting an adapter, but realistically I likely can perform 99% of my photo tasks without the need for one. I'll likely put off the purchase until I decide it is absolutely necessary for something l need to do. Good day today: saved $65.00 already.

02-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #9

What about making one up? Where I live, its basically a non-runner having that shipped.

I can get the D-DC84 part for €21. Can this be married to a generic 6V power adapter?
Pentax - D-DC84 - Cāble adaptateur pour Appareil photo reflex: Amazon.fr: High-tech

I'd also be interested in making up one from scratch using something like two of these glued together, and a generic 6V adapter. prob cost $15 total

I just cant justify shelling out all that money for an AC adapter, when I'd only use it rarely...
Plus I like making stuff

Any help appreciated!
02-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Radio Shak has had a universal adapter just for digital cameras with a set of various plugs for like $25. You have to set the voltage correctly for your camera and switch out the jack to fit, but it worked out just fine for me for my last camera. If any of you that need one have one in your area you might want to go in and give it a try. Could be it will do you?
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Radio Shak has had a universal adapter just for digital cameras with a set of various plugs for like $25. You have to set the voltage correctly for your camera and switch out the jack to fit, but it worked out just fine for me for my last camera. If any of you that need one have one in your area you might want to go in and give it a try. Could be it will do you?
This is your second bargain grand slam for me--the first being the $16 SafeSync for high voltage flashes!!!
02-22-2011, 03:00 PM   #12

thanks for the info this forum seems like a more friendly one!. think I'll give the full scale DIY a go, just for the fun of it!

so its just a straight up 6v? no current trickery or anything?

one more a about the bit that goes into the battery compartement, how many poles does it have? it seems to have 2 on theb bottom, i've not yet seen a top view. intact if anyone would be so kind so as to take some detail pics of it I'd be eternally grateful
02-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
This is your second bargain grand slam for me--the first being the $16 SafeSync for high voltage flashes!!!
I'm always happy to pass on the info to something helpful (or a bargain) if I know where to find it.

12-18-2011, 06:36 AM   #14

just found this thread...well i'm interested too in building one, cause the original is too expensive..
i found this article where one guy makes it for his K-m..nothing special but works

here's the link..
http://www.welcome.zaq.jp/moonlight/k-m.html

i'll try to make one..got nothing to loose

Last edited by swen_blueneon; 12-18-2011 at 11:41 AM.