Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjtn Quote
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. If you take any filters along I'd recommend a graduated neutral density filter for any bright skies. You'd probably want a tripod too, that's the first thing to buy if you don't have one.

Bright skies ? In Europe in January ? ROFL !

11-27-2010, 01:25 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

Surely the sky would get bright enough to exceed the DR of the camera and warrant the use of filters?

However, I wouldn't know because I'm from Australia. I guess I forget that just because it's summer here doesn't mean it is elsewhere. We still need filters in the winter though too.
11-27-2010, 05:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Surely the sky would get bright enough to exceed the DR of the camera and warrant the use of filters?
Now it's 13:49 here, snow is melting, sun is shining. After looking around from my balcony...even a $100 p&s disposable cam has enough DR to capture the scene. Surely it's totally different here in Europe than in Australia
11-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by huskybusky Quote
Another issue i'm finding is under cloudy weather my k200d doesn't automatically flash and the photos come out dark.
Start a new thread for that and post an example (with EXIF intact). Plenty of people here have the knowledge to tell you what went wrong. If the camera thinks that flash is not required, it will NOT popup the flash.

A wild guess (without seeing the specific photo) is that the scene contains lots of lighter colours (e.g. the clouds); as a result the camera is fooled into thinking that correct exposure can be achieved with a shorter shutter speed or narrower aperture than is actually the case and the rest of the scene comes out darker.

11-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #50
Veteran Member

jolepp mentioned this in another thread

Europe uses 230V; can your stuff handle it ?
11-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #51

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Now it's 13:49 here, snow is melting, sun is shining. After looking around from my balcony...even a $100 p&s disposable cam has enough DR to capture the scene. Surely it's totally different here in Europe than in Australia
Well that is quite amazing. I kind of wish we could just do that. But I do love our big clear brilliant skies too.
11-29-2010, 01:07 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well that is quite amazing. I kind of wish we could just do that. But I do love our big clear brilliant skies too.
Uhm, yes: Enjoy your clear skies! You really shouldn't be longing for a murkier world just to stay within the DR limits of your camera I think

I like the snow right now - but I do long for the return of real daylight. Even if it brings a few burnt out images with it!

11-29-2010, 04:17 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Depends on where you are in Europe in any given day. Skies here can be just as sunny and blue in January as Shanghai, minus the smog, of course.

Jason
11-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
jolepp mentioned this in another thread

Europe uses 230V; can your stuff handle it ?
The Pentax battery chargers are dual voltage and have built in transformers, nothing needed other than a cheap plug adapter. (Buy one in the airport for $5 or less.)

Jason
11-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #55
Veteran Member

So obvious you aren't British / European
Let's see...January 1st of the year, I was sitting in an outside cafe, 22c degrees and got a sunburn in the hour I was there chatting with friends. Not a cloud in the sky, felt like April.

You should visit Europe more often, it may change your mind and misconceptions.

Jason
11-29-2010, 04:34 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Let's see...January 1st of the year, I was sitting in an outside cafe, 22c degrees and got a sunburn in the hour I was there chatting with friends. Not a cloud in the sky, felt like April.

You should visit Europe more often, it may change your mind and misconceptions.

Jason
Absolutely depends which country he visits, doesn't it?

Seriously, this is getting off track. I am sure anyone from across the pond will agree that weather conditions for a Januar visit to the US depends somewhat on whether you go to Alaska or Florida, right? Let's leave it at that.

I repeat myself, but: Buy a gorillapod, play around with your kit lens, and spend the extra cash on a pint of Belgian/Dutch/English beer, a bottle of French/Italian/Spanish wine, a bottle of Greek retsina, or a steaming cup of Danish/Swedish gløgg.
11-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We just returned from a week in Tuscany and one thing I might stress is that if you are touring, you are going to want to be able to shoot indoors in buildings such as Cathedrals where flash is not permitted. Before we went, I managed to pick up a Sigma 20mm f1.8 which performed just beautifully for me on this trip. The shorter focal length (20mm vs 50mm) is more useful in buildings to my thinking. The attached photo was taken in the Duomo of Siena, no flash, with the 20. No editing at all except to reduce the size for posting. This is Donatello's St. John the Baptist.
Attached Images

11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Greeneg Quote
We just returned from a week in Tuscany and one thing I might stress is that if you are touring, you are going to want to be able to shoot indoors in buildings such as Cathedrals where flash is not permitted. Before we went, I managed to pick up a Sigma 20mm f1.8 which performed just beautifully for me on this trip. The shorter focal length (20mm vs 50mm) is more useful in buildings to my thinking. The attached photo was taken in the Duomo of Siena, no flash, with the 20. No editing at all except to reduce the size for posting. This is Donatello's St. John the Baptist.
I used mostly primes during my last trip to Spain for the same reason. The only problem is that the OP limited the price to $200. That severely limits the purchase of primes--especially fast wide angles.
11-30-2010, 06:11 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The Pentax battery chargers are dual voltage and have built in transformers, nothing needed other than a cheap plug adapter. (Buy one in the airport for $5 or less.)

Jason
or just get plug adaptors at the dollar store, laptops are usually dual voltage as well, i just picked up the adaptors before i left (much cheaper than the airport)
11-30-2010, 06:58 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The OP has a K200d and won't need a Pentax charger or adapter, just AA batts.